Keith Jarrett on the importance of audio sound quality

My little contribution to the forum.

Leave aside KJ is my favorite pianist, his trio my favorite trio (RIP Gary Peacock).

Found this article, him talking about the importance of reproduction quality of what he records.

Good read, many good points that elicit reflection and appreciation.

http://www.soundsgoodtome.us/2011/01/05/keith-jarrett-on-high-performance-audio-and-its-influence-on...
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjjss49
An interesting read.  Reportedly he was really unhappy with the Piano in the Koln Concert album, which was his biggest seller and his best known recording.
i attended the famous/infamous solo concert at davies symphony hall in winter where he took on the whole audience on coughing

definitely a prima donna factor here with kj - as is the case with so many musical geniuses (not to excuse his rudeness or belligerence to a paying audience) - i think it happens most in solo gigs where he feels the most 'pressure' to find inspiration

his ’vocalizations’ are also something of a challenge... something akin to noise on analog records... at some point you listen through it

all that being said, his talent, musicality, melodic sense - to me - is unmatched

many other great pianists i love - chick, mehldau, ahmad jamal, lil joey - but to my ear and my musical sensibilities kj is tops
I think Jarrett's live recordings are great, because no one in the audience dare make a single noise...he's famous for walking off the stage and leaving the theater over the smallest audience noise.  God help the poor patron who leaves his/her cell phone on ring.

Actually, a few years ago, the New York Philharmonic actually stopped a performance when a cell phone went off in the audience.  Not cool for the wealthy patrons who paid upward of $300 for a front-row seat.
Speaking of Keith Jarrett and sound quality, I still wish there were no tics  and pops on my multi-album solo concert of his from the 1970's.  In this respect, the CD is definitely more pleasing.