Tidal MQA vs Qobuz hi-res

My brief experience.. for posterity.

Comparing Tidal MQA to Qobuz hi-res, you -will- hear degredation/loss in the high frequencies (violins in an orchestra etc) on MQA... assuming you have reasonably resolving equipment. For me, that’s Macbook USB to a $150 Audio Engine D1 DAC going to a $600 used Parasound A23 going to used $600 Kef LS50’s, $100 Transparent speaker cables and cheap USB and RCA cables.

The Audio Engine is surprisingly good for it’s price BTW. Over the years, trying different DACs in audio stores when I had an opportunity, I feel like you’d need to spend close to $1,000 to get something significantly better.

The A23 and LS50’s are really good too for today’s used prices. New, they would’ve been $2,500 a few years go

bataras
I am driving my mac mini usb over  Emm Labs Xds1 V3 player, and i did lots of tests against Qobuz and Tidal, Qobuz always wins the contests...Qobuz has much  quite background and lots of details,,,
problem with Qobuz for me is the UI sucks for discovery, they're missing content that Tidal and spotify have and not alot of the content is Hi-Res.

I haven't used Roon yet, but I wonder when connected to Tidal and Qobuz if it's smart enough to grab hi-res tracks form Quboz when they're available and hide all the hunting from the user
@bataras 
Perhaps we listen to different genres of music but I find Qobuz has more HiRez titles than TIDAL has MQA.  I find the UI's of TIDAL and Qobuz to be similar, perhaps that's because of the integration with a dCS Rossini streamer. 

And the comparison of sound quality between HiRez and MQA is not close wit HiRez being the better.  HiRez titles also are more portable than MQA as you can Bluetooth HiRez from a phone to a car or other audio systems.   

I used TIDAL for a couple years before switching to Qobuz and to me Qobuz is a better option and costs $5 less per month.
HI guys,

After reading the thread, let me bring in my experience.
1. Streaming is a very hard form of listening to music, for there are many more factors involved than with other traditional ways. I'll not discuss them here, but a more than decent streamer is required. I tried many options and decided for smallgreencomputers.com equipment, not only for cost but above all for they offer much better equipment than many famous brands. I spent a lot of money with such trials, because, as someone said above, we don't find many options to try from local stores. So, even returning equipment add cost because of shipments. 

2. Tidal X Qobuz. I believe that Qobuz sounds better than Tidal (not huge difference, but there is a difference). However, Qobuz has less albums available than Tidal (I'm talking from classical music perspective). So far I'm sticking with Tidal for that reason. Sometimes, even CDs I have in my collection are not available with both of them. Solution I'm thinking: save my unavailable music in an external HD and move to Qobuz for better sound quality.

Enjoy your music!
I don't hear a huge difference between hi-res files on Qobuz and MQA files on Tidal.  I'm of the mind that the original recording process and mastering are more important than if the file is high-res.  I have some hi-res files that sound amazing.  Santana Abraxas dsf files for example.  But then again, if you play a good vinyl copy of Abraxas on a good vinyl rig ... it's also a big "wow!"   

A FLAC file of well recorded, produced, and mastered music is much more enjoyable to me than a hi-res file that is none of those things.  There's a lot of mediocre quality music that's labeled as hi-res that's nothing more than a lipstick wearing pig.

I don't like being forced to buy new equipment to listen to MQA.  I don't care for all the "unfolding" going on and I like that Qobuz is more affordable and caters more to my musical tastes - classic rock, jazz, and electronic. 

All that being said, I have subscriptions to both Qobuz and Tidal as there are sometimes things I'd like to hear that aren't available on Qobuz.  However, I find myself switching over to Tidal much less often than in the past.