Speakers hung from ceiling on aircraft cable.

Opinion question:

We are thinking of suspending a pair of KEF LS50 speakers from the ceiling using aircraft cable. Do you think having them not rigidly mounted will diminish bass? Will the woofers cause the speakers to move?

davidclarke
I have done this with my Dolby Atmos height speakers and it works like a charm.
i used 1/16” SS cable with eyes screwed into cabinets and ceiling. Find the balance point, use 1 eye top of speaker and 2 at the bottom.
works great !
David you are right and you will be absolutely fine. I would do it with just one chain per speaker sized so the speakers hang at ear height.
Even if you did not cross out at 100 Hz you would be fine. The mass of the cone assembly is far less than the rest of the speaker. Imaging will be just as good as if they were on stands and because you are crossing out at 100 Hz distortion levels in the little woofer will drop considerably. It should make a wonderful office system, a lot better than the two Sonos speakers I use.  
I hung my huge Cerwin Vega speakers with 1/4" steel anchored to  beams (4 straps per speaker!) on my ceiling! Sounded great and solid! When I sold my house the new owner wanted them and I sold them! They are still hanging 35+ years!Cheers!
One advantage to hanging the speakers is the ability to spin them around while playing stuff to get that Leslie organ speaker tone...not necessarily useful, but doable.