Help me understand "the swarm" in the broader audiophile world

I'm still fairly new out here and am curious about this Swarm thing. I've never owned a subwoofer but I find reading about them--placement, room treatments, nodes, the crawl, etc--fascinating. I'm interested in the concept of the Swarm and the DEBRA systems, and I have a very specific question. The few times I've been in high-end, audiophile stores and asked about the concept of the Swarm, I've tended to get some eye-rolling. They're selling single or paired subwoofers that individually often cost more and sometimes much more than a quartet of inexpensive, modest subs. The same thing can be said for many speaker companies that make both speakers and subs; it's not like I see Vandersteen embracing the use of four Sub 3's. 

My question is this: do in fact high-end stores embrace the concept of multiple, inexpensive subs? If not, cynicism aside, why not? Or why doesn't Vandersteen or JL or REL and so on design their own swarm? For those out here who love multiple subs, is it a niche thing? Is it a certain kind of sound that is appealing to certain ears? The true believers proselytize with such zeal that I find it intriguing and even convincing, and yet it's obviously a minority of listeners who do it, even those who have dedicated listening rooms. (I'm talking about the concept of four+ subs, mixed and matched, etc. I know plenty of folks who embrace two subs. And I may be wrong about all my assumptions here--really.)

Now, one favor, respectfully: I understand the concept and don't need to be convinced of why it's great. That's all over literally every post on this forum that mentions the word "sub." I'm really interested in why, as far as I can tell, stores and speaker companies (and maybe most audiophile review sites?) mostly don't go for it--and why, for that matter, many audiophiles don't either (putting aside the obvious reason of room limits). Other than room limitations, why would anyone buy a single JL or REL or Vandy sub when you could spend less and get ... the swarm? 

northman
So I think most people would agree that addressing excess decay times (ringing) is as important or more important that flat frequency response.  I've added a good bit of range limited traps to my room which have helped substantially to reduce ringing.  Overall, the room is about 20% treated with the vast majority being range limited bass traps (GIK Soffit/Mega and Realtraps Mondo limp membranes) in the corners and front wall.

For those of you using DBA combined with room treatments, did you find that the DBA reduced ringing substantially without room treatments, or should I expect my Swarm to primarily rectify nulls at the MLP and expect that the traps will be required to achieve good decay times?

I guess my plan would be to remove room treatments and optimize the bass response without room treatment, then add back the bass traps judiciously to further improve frequency response and ringing.  BTW, mains are down 3 dB at 27 Hz, but I have decent response down to 20Hz or so.  Is that a reasonable approach?

Finally, I've read about the crawl approach to optimal placement on the Audiokinesis site, but I'm thinking of using REW to supplement what I hear.  Anyone find REW useful in Swarm sub placement?

@tyray
 Then reading more in agon Duke did suggest to the things he told you to do with your subs, then I can't remember if it was Duke on some other reading but 'if you can raise one up towards the ceiling'. What!

Yes, that was Duke who suggested raising one or more subs up towards the ceiling here on agon.

I had decided against the Swarm for my 10 x 12 room until I read the same posting.

It was in that small room that I used a metal shelving unit in each front corner to place a ceiling facing sub with about 4" clearance.

A third ceiling facing sub was mounted on a shelf above and behind my listening chair.

After minimal placement adjustments, I had really great bass response in the small room.

No other single sub worked.  I was literally in a state of awe and shock at how the 4 subs significantly improved my listening experience across different kinds of music at most any volume.

Now in the new house, with a bigger listening room (14 x 17) I have 2 subs on the floor but still have 2 up high facing the ceiling.

I agree with you about being glad you actually tried and elevated a sub.  It really does work!

The ceiling facing subs do noticeably contribute to the vertical plane dispersion. The shelf units in each front corner provide some diffusion and are great for housing gear too!

I have a monoblock at the bottom of each shelf unit which helped streamline the crowded gear rack between my mains.

Mahgister wrote:

"With acoustic ACTIVE devices controls and not only PASSIVE materials treatment, they gives me so much bass..."

"You forget Active acoustical device controls..."

"For example how do we use reverberations in a positive way to make the sound more alive with only a passive treatment? No way, it takes active acoustical control devices..."

"Active acoustic devices controls seems totally unknown"

"The easiest low cost way to improve bass is to improve the acoustical settings controls of the room not only passively but actively..."

You mention ACTIVE acoustical control devices many times, in this thread and elsewhere, and I don’t know what you are referring to.

Can you describe or explain what they are?

Duke
Active devices controls of the room with a balance between, absorption, reflections, and diffusions, and using device (different diffusors of my creation and active resonators connected to a grid of low cost Schumann generators) to take the positive side of reverberations for example....

Active because i connect them to the S.G..... And the different resonators of different size .... I use my audio room only for music then it is possible to experiment....In a common room my device are not esthetical nor practical....

But i think it is not the thread to describe these unorthodox experiments of mine...My only point is treating the room must be made for all frequencies and in relation to timbre accuracy first and not bass....

:)

I apologize for having disrupted this thread.....

My best to all....
@mahgister,

Why not start a thread with a detailed explanation of your three infamous embeddings? I think it’s long overdue :-)