Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Not trying to sound too politically correct, but black or white he was a pretty good composer.
@rvpiano      Yes RV he was not bad in the composing dept.

I am listening at the moment to a series of the Keyboard Partitas by Bach and played on Harpsicord by Trevor Pinnock and most enjoyable they are and he is throwing all kinds of things in like lute stops full double keyboard and single keyboard to add some diversity in the mix. Most recommended.

I saw and heard the witch is dead many times jim .Believe it or not I actually sang it to myself before I heard anything .Looks like an average American need not worry about
being anywhere in Europe for years to come .

I had to cancel my last 2 Lufthansa business class Chicago - Berlin this Oct + December , 250,000 miles worthless .

.To be honest coming from an alcoholic family it is hard for me to be in Scotland , at least they vacinated me from it .I hear you on the Keyboard Partitas with Pinnock , I played them a hundred times till I forgot where I put them. Fun galore !
jim
you say " if you go back in someone’s past that there may be a black gene floating about somewhere "
indeed, you might well find some neanderthals too!
I don't think this is particularly well known, it's a youthful Andras Schiff playing Schumann.  Gesange der Fruhe; Nachtstucke; Kreisleriana; Variationen in Es-dur [forgive lack of diacritics].  On Teldec.  This displaces Lupu as my favorite Schumann recital.  The way he handles the dissonances in Gesange no. 1 is extraordinary.