Danny Richie "fixes" the Linkwitz Arion loudspeaker

For some time now I have been directing those interested in loudspeaker design to Danny Richie’s GR Research Tech Talk Tuesday videos on YouTube. Here is his latest: an examination of the Linkwitz Arion loudspeaker. You may be asking yourself: if Siegfried Linkwitz is the genius he is touted to be, how is it Danny found the Orion to be lacking, and was able to find solutions for it’s failings? I’ll leave that to you to answer. In the meantime, after watching and listening to this video, you may want to watch all the Tech Talk Tuesday videos. They may just make you a more informed loudspeaker consumer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCA-eSPUkJA.

128x128bdp24
@bdp24 I’ve been running a set of custom built Linkwitz Orions for about 14 years now. They started out as version 3.1 and then did the update to version 3.3. I’m very much in love with them. Every so often I get the urge to do something different, but then I take a serious listen to my Orions and the urge goes away.

Most audiophile visitors leave with envy. They do sound good. But the real issue is that they sound good to me. Because this design calls for 8 channels at 60 wpc, there aren’t a lot of options in power amps. Fortunately because it doesn’t have a passive crossover, a lower cost amp does fine because it doesn’t have to cope with the massive distortion and inefficiencies of a passive crossover.

Passive crossovers do terrible things to an impedance curve, which is why so many people drop enormous amounts on beefy amps. When you use active crossovers to manage all of the drivers, an amp channel only has to deal with a single driver, which is a MUCH easier load. There’s a reason so many powered professional grade loudspeaker systems use active crossovers.

I run 8 channels of a 12 channel MOSFET B&K AV1260 "zone" amp and it sounds very good. Got it cheap too.

Today were you to build the current rev Linkwitz Orion, you’d probably spend about $6000 for everything - drivers, cabinets, active crossover and amplification. I can guarantee you that you’re not going to find any $6000 loudspeaker and amp combination that will come close to what the Orions can do.

The newer Linkwitz LX521 design addresses some of the things that Danny R. complained about with the Orion design. That’s what you’d expect from a designer as they sought to improve their system. The LX521 project pencils out at even less money than the Orion, which is why few Orion systems get built today.

Active crossovers are vastly superior to passive. The audio industry is built around selling you a speaker and an amp to drive it. Marketing just isn’t set up to treat you like a professional audio engineer. Nobody is selling one amp as a good "tweeter" amp and another for good bass reproduction. It’s much easier to tout some Focal or Magico loudspeaker as Audio Nirvana, and then expect you to go drop another $12k or more on the perfect amp to drive them. And let’s not forget the additional $6k you’re going to spend on loudspeaker cables.

Danny doesn’t use active crossovers because that would require you to buy two amps, not one, to drive his systems. And unless he spec’d the amps, you’d have to do your own matching and tweaking. Not a good move if he’s to sell loudspeakers. So he’s going to tell you that you have to have an expensive amp to drive his speakers, when the truth is that you can get BETTER results with active crossover and lower cost amps.

Sorry guys. Active crossovers in a loudspeaker system are just superior engineering. But you have to fully engineer the system together. No swapping out this amp for another, and where’s the fun in that?

My Orions leave me happy and that’s all that really matters.
@rushbutton, totally agree with active crossovers. Doubt I will ever go back to passive. 
@russbutton

Me too... 

The only thing I might like better is the LX521, because its bridge helps tame the bass and prevents vibration transmission to the mids and tweeters.

But... there are still few speakers that can match the later Orion's, for the reasons you mentioned.
@clio09  
@russbutton 
Count me as another that finds fully active speakers to be the way to go. I have fully active Legacy Calibre with crossover duties handled by the Wavelet processor. 6 channels of amplification and lots of ability to adjust and tweak the sound. To me, they are way more versatile than any of the passive models I have used and sound better too.
+1 russbutton. I agree whole heartedly. I bought Orion 3.3’s and built LX521 baffles, LXmini’s and LXsubs. I use both active analog and digital crossovers, all ATI amplification, tube hybrid preamp, Yggdrasil and Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC’s, Synergistic Research interconnects, PS Audio power equipment, and DIY HFT’s (Ozzinators). It’s all configured in a way that I can mix and match components and speakers easily depending on what works best for the music I’m playing. I feel I am done with the equipment part of the problem (for my budget) and my limiting factors are now: #1 the recording engineer, and #2 the fixed dimensions of my room.

Life is too short to sit around and worry about what someone might say with regard to design problems or equipment measurements. Harvest and apply the knowledge as well as possible but then leave it behind and enjoy the music.

Rather than make a lengthy post on this topic, I finally got my act together and posted my system https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8930. In the notes you will find plenty of detail about the equipment and why I made the choices I did. Questions and comments welcome.