"Bridge Over Trouble Water" sounds artificial

During the pandemic I've been upgrading my sound system.  I used to enjoy Simon & Garfunkel, "Bridge Over Trouble Water".  With my upgraded equipment the hi resolution audio sounds very synthetic, with one track on top of another, not like real music at all.  The voices are doubled and violins just layered on top.  On my same system, I played a live concert of Andre Previn playing Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue".  It sounded real and beautiful, like a live performance.  Am I doing something wrong?
aeschwartz
I gave it a listen on headphones last night. Very meh overall though the piano was still solid. Much better on the big system which gives the “wall of sound” production room to breath.
Hmm, well semantics aside, I find it sounds better and not great but good enough to be enjoyable on my good system with room for the "ambience" to breath than on headphones (Chord Mojo to Sony MDR-1AM2).

So I don’t agree with the assertion it sounds "worse" on a good system. In fact there is a lot more to potentially enjoy if you are into it.

I will agree it is not an "audiophile/reference" recording, but I don’t think anyone ever claimed it was.
Roy Halee produced Simon & Garfunkel both Live in Central Park and BOTW.  The Live album is much better in every way.
Roy Halee basically made a career out of producing Simon & Garfunkel, Paul Simon, and his wife Edie Brickell. I don't think aside from that he has any remarkable credentials as a producer of audiophile recordings. That being said, the more spare recordings of acoustic guitars and Paul & Art's vocals etc sound very good, but once Roy starts on the "wall of sound" like the end of "The Boxer" and "Bridge Over Troubled Water" it gets quite messy.