Options for ridding records of static electricity

I am getting back into vinyl, listening to “garage sale” finds and also new albums that I have been picking up. I have a nice old Linn Sondek LP12 with the felt mat. Every time I go to remove a record from the spindle or flip the record, static electricity grabs the felt mat and it sticks like a magnet. I have to very carefully flip the felt mat at the corner with my finger but one of these times I’m going to slip and smudge or scratch a record. 

I’ve seen the “Milty Zerostat” and seem to remember this product from back in the day. I see that it is still made and there is one eBay vendor that has them for $77. Is this my best bet? I thought Michael Fremor talked about these in one of his videos. 

Are there other products I should look at to reduce static electricity on my records? Thanks for any help you can give.
masi61
my lp12 platter is damped, it is not stock. I has a near zero mass addition that drops the residual ring out of it by probably ......4+ magnitudes in length/tail (time)
Damped and near zero mass addition?? The only way I know of to do that is by making the platter into two bits so that one bit robs the other of energy at its resonance point. That way the two are anti-resonant, but even then it really helps to apply additional damping. And a felt pad would will be a static and sonic issue! Felt, in a word, sucks, when it comes to LP playback.

Ralph,
a very low mass addition to the platter, it is. Maybe..oh...30 grams worth. Considering the mass of the platter, that extra mass is, er, negligible.  Very outsized effect.

I’m not arguing the issues of felt, either way. It just tends to work best for the Linn LP12, overall. Tried lots of mats, including the rare methacrylic barium types, etc, and the felt ended up going back on it.
I agree that felt platter mats have not been good in my experience, but I never owned an LP12, and it's just possible that felt may sound good on an LP12 platter.  Dust covers suck, too.  Just couldn't resist contradicting Mijostyn. He knows how I feel about dust covers.

I have yet to see or be able to find scientific evidence that the stylus tip, which is made of diamond, we hope, is the major cause of static charge build-up, but the idea that it is one of the causes is appealing, I admit.  I tried to find where diamond sits in the triboelectric series, and I cannot find any table that lists "diamond".  However, all tables do list vinyl near the bottom of the list of materials that accept an electron (become negatively charged), as Mijo says.  Do you know what materials ARE listed at the very top of the list of materials that lose electrons (become positively charged) most readily?  Human skin and air.  Since it's impossible to play LPs without exposing them to our skin (unless you wear gloves) and the air around us, is it not just as plausible that LPs acquire negative charge from either or both of those two sources?
Years ago, the Shure Corporation published a lengthy white paper on static charge vis a vis the LP.  That paper should be read by anyone interested in the phenomenon.  In that paper, they said they looked for evidence that the stylus tracing the groove is a cause of static on LPs, and results were negative.  Unfortunately, they failed to describe the relevant experiments.  Whereas, they did describe many other experiments in detail, and the results are interesting.
@mijostyn. The LP12 is best played without the lid. I don’t know of anyone who listens seriously to the Linn that plays it with the lid on...easy to hear how it impacts the SQ negatively. 
BTW, for those who don’t know, the Linn LP12 platter is actually a two piece unit, consisting of an inner platter/spindle and an outer platter, I don’t think it rings at all.

@slaw 

“Now, since the crazy guy from My Pillow is out there endorcing Trump's prophecy, I'm ashamed.”

A highly inflammatory political/religious slur.

Not cool. Not professional.