How to insert album cover art on music files?

I have searched the net for answers and I have not found any feasible answer to the question:
"How to insert album cover art on music files?"

I have about 4-6TB of music on external hard drives. Much of this music came from live broadcast sources through the years. I also have much HR music recorded from various on line services recorded via a HR Tascam recorder then transferred to the hard drive.
How can I insert a picture into those music files on my hard drive? Low rez sources such as iTunes, or mp3 conversion is not an option.

ozzy
128x128ozzy
ozzy,

Sorry for the late response, but I am glad it worked.

mp3Tag is actually quite simple, after a few attempts.

I am repeating myself, but if you want to change the picture that already is in the file make sure to delete it first (right click on the picture in the left lower corner), save that (click on "save" diskette up left) and then put a new picture in and save. I have made that mistake of "deleting" without saving enough times to be embarassed to admit. The issue is that some of the programs/machines you may be playing the files with cannot digest the artwork if there is more than one picture attached, or they may decide to show the one you did not want.

Do not be surprised if some song/album that you attached the picture to does not show up once being played. It is there but sometimes the program does not see it. For me, it happened exclusively with WAV and even that not all the time. I have no explanation or remedy except "sorry".

dBpoweramp can also tag, but it can convert, rip, and a few more. I prefer mp3Tag for tagging, but conversions and other things in dB poweramp have been worth the purchase price over time.
I have noticed that the beginning of some songs  (wav) do not display the album art. Very strange.

ozzy
.wav format is not designed for tagging including artwork. Using it for that is a kluge.  Expect issues. Flac files are designed for that and work well. Plus the lossless compressed data format makes managing large libraries more viable. I think everyone who starts with wav ends up either forgetting about it or switching at some point. I wish I had switched to flac sooner. Fixing tags after ripping can be very time consuming even with automated tools like Picard.
There’s also a free program called Creevity MP3 cover downloader.

Very simple to use and think it works with W7/10 and iOS.

https://www.creevity.com/mp3coverdownloader/
Thanks for the help, I've been adding art to my files this afternoon.
I'm up to the C's.
It's gonna take a while.

ozzy