Proteus compared to MSL ultra eminent ex

Hi Everyone,

Hoping to find some folks who have experience with both of these cartridges. I already have a Proteus, which I love. I have another, different, excellent cartridge with which I'm having some problems, and I am looking for a low internal impedance (<5 ohm) reasonable output cartridge (> .2-.3 mV) to replace it. As low noise as possible. I am just wondering whether the ultra eminent EX from my sonic labs would sound very similar to the Proteus that I already have. If so, I would probably consider getting something with a slightly different sonic signature. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
arsh
yeti42, assuming that the SPU's stylus is OK to run at 3 grams because it has a different shape is a mistake. I do not know what the difference in record wear is but it is certainly higher than the Proteus. 
You have a wonderful arm but it is too light for either the SPU,  Koetsu or Anna. This will effect tracking and low bass performance.
The Proteus is a good match and Ana has a great reputation. I would certainly consider getting it rebuilt. You want to stick to cartridges with compliances in the 12 to 20 um/mN. Your cartridge mounting plates will work great in this range. The Lyra cartridges are a great choice. The Ortifon WIndfeld Ti, any Clearaudio MC cartridge would also work. From a value perspective given your apparent preferences the Kiseki Purple Heart would be perfect.
Thanks guys. Interesting discussion. I would love to hear more comments, especially from anyone who has had the opportunity to actually hear the Proteus and the ultra eminent EX in some sort of comparison. I realize that will be tough but I welcome any and all opinions. Thanks again.
Arsh, both Proteus and Ultra EX are excellent carts. I had them both and can tell you that they sound similar. Ultra EX is better cart for my ears - better dynamics and bigger soundstage. MSL makes one of the best carts on the market, maybe second to none. To answer your question - if you want sound different than Proteus you should go to different direction than MSL...
Surprised no-one has challenged the misinformation on the MSL. The MSL Ultra Eminent Ex is of a much, much later generation - more than 20 years later - than the Audiocraft mentioned, while the specs are nothing like it at all. I doubt the cartridges have much in common other than that the same bloke was involved in designing them, between 20 and 30 years apart.

I have been pondering the Ultra Eminent Ex after I purchased the My Sonic Labs Eminent Mono, which is a truly stunning performer, upstaging my long-term, much-loved Miyajima Zero. It manages to be revealing, detailed, composed, warm and full all at the same time. It’s had me pulling out mono recordings from rack after rack. Great match with my Allnic HA5000 head amp/H7000V phono stage too - plenty of gain to play with.

I currently have some very nice stereo cartridges, most notably the new Allnic Rose (which is really quite something incidentally and well worthy of consideration), and the Miyajima Madake. I moved on my Ikeda 9TT as in my setup it was a bit clinical, and have also moved on all my SPUs in recent times. Nevertheless another high-spec cart is always welcome.

At the moment I’m swithering between two options: the MSL Ultra Eminent - which is supposed to be an out and out detail meister with incredible dynamics - and the Hyper Eminent, slightly higher impedance (just over 1 ohm, not the 0.5 ohm of the Ultra) and supposed to be a shade warmer/a bit less about huge dyamic swings. I’m expecting to pull the trigger in the next week or two - should be an interesting addition to the stable.
Incidentally I heard the Proteus a few years back and, capable as it sounded, I was underwhelmed - though it may just have been a synergy thing as others have reported being impressed. Of course Transfiguration are no more so caution is advised if looking for a long-term purchase.