Honest question about cartridge vs. turntable performance.

I’ve been a vinyl lover for a few years now and I have an ortofon black cartridge setup with an mmf 5.1 turntable with acrylic platter and speed controller. My question to all the vinyl audiophiles out there is this. How much difference does a turntable really make compared to the cartridge? Will I hear a significant difference if I upgraded my turntable and kept the same cartridge? Isn’t the cartridge 90%+ of the sound from a vinyl setup? Thank you guys in advance for an honest discussion on this topic. 
tubelvr1
why is it that the vast majority of the most high-end turntables are belt drive?
Its low-tech and easy to get good results?
I finished my country house turntable project - goal was to find small  good turntable.

So my choice at the very end is Era turntable + Ortofon 9 inch RS-212 tonearm + Aidas cartridge.
Very small and not serious looking. Sounds better than any Rega for me:)

But if to look into Era it's rather cheap belt drive engineered by Verdier. With very small motor and very loose belt. And very strange design I have to say. Although in my opinion Era don't make any sound it just keeps the speed with very low wow and flutter 

Then you don't see turntable sound is superb :) Although now I want for my home big Verdier turntable as it is more serious and it will look nice near Garrard.

Engineering is the key. Good turntable can be very simple. Does it means that it's the most important - I don't think so. But in the late evenings then turntable spins and shines it's the most important part in the system. That is for sure.
@mammothguy64

So Chakster, then why is it that the vast majority of the most high-end turntables are belt drive? I welcome your explanation. There could be something to learn from it.

In a wider perspective most of high-end turntables are Direct Drive, especially if you know the history. I don’t care much about High-End Industry today, this is where the ugliest and most expensive turntables coming from. It’s been said before, but i can repeat it again - marketing is the reason, if they can sell those ugly beats then why not make a profit? If someone can sell BD turntables like Rega then why not sell them, a belt drive motor is easy to make. The lack of knowledge is on the customers side in this situation, some of them don’t even know there are other turntables on the market today.

Let’s get back to the basics, this is my favorite argument:

I’m pretty sure most of your records made with this Neumann cutting lathe, and this is a first step in record manufacturing, this is how a lacquer disk actually cut. There must be the most stable motor to do so, because there is a cutter stylus right on lacquer, it’s obvious that any pitch errors must be eliminated in this process if you want to cut a perfect record (master cut). This is where nothing but a Direct Drive can do the job. And Neumann cutting lathe has Technics SP-02 Direct Drive Motor. I can’t find a better image for you since our member jpjones... removed the catalog from his new site (temporary, i hope) .

But let me tell you this:
If our records made with direct drive motor rotating the platter then why not reproduce them with similar direct drive motor ? This is it. Not only Technics made amazing direct drive turntables, there are many from Victor, Denon, Luxman, Kenwood, Pioneer Exclussive .... from the golden age of analog.

Today you can find superb direct drive motor only from Technics in SP10R series.

Why a belt drive manufacturers still selling their overpriced belt drive turntables ? You tell me. Obviously those BD turntables are NOT from Japan where Direct Drive was and still is a king.

Faulty logic Chakster. Cutting a record and playing one back are not the same. Cutting requires more torque and consequently is more difficult to control. The cutting head is powered and is easily able to overcome any magnetic fields near by. 
Playing a record back is a relatively low torque situation with much less strain on the drive system. Now you have a very sensitive magnetic device trying to make sense of squiggly grooves. Any magnetic field near by is going  interrupt the process. The torque of a direct drive motor is now superfluous. A quiet environment is far more critical. You have to isolate the platter, tonearm and cartridge from everything. IMHO this is far more difficult than cutting a lacquer.
Vibration and noise is everywhere. You think your turntable is isolated because your rack is on concrete? Guess again. Keeping the motor as far away from the cartridge as possible is a good start. Suspending the sub chassis (what the platter and tonearm sit on) is another important issue. A suspension tuned as low as possible will isolate the sub chassis from any noise transmitted above the resonant frequency of the suspension. Vibration transmitted through the air is another problem. Putting your turntable in another room works. When I see turntables on a rack between the speakers up near the front wall where the bass is exaggerated I die laughing. That is the absolute worse place to put a turntable. Using a dust cover that is isolated from the sub chassis is another way of putting the turntable in another room.
In short for playback properly designed belt drives are the way to go. They may not be simpler depending on the method used to control speed. Some of the motors are very high tech. Just as high tech as any direct drive.  I think the Grand Prix Monaco and the XactAudio Beat represent the apex of direct drive turntables. They are interesting designs and I can not say how well they function but if I'm going to spend that amount of money on a turntable without a thought I would go for the Dohmann Helix. Total no brainer. It pushes all the right buttons. 
Direct drive turntables are great for DJ's and that is about it, not to mention the tonearms they come with are pretty poor.