Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon
For the record... the Moab officially contains over 426" (over 35 feet) in length of internal bracing - it is very well constructed and contrary to a few AG posters here it is actually internally braced - to the tune of 35.5 feet worth. 

The Moab has garnered three 2020 product of the year type awards. The Moab and the patented technology that drives it stands on its own merits and does in-fact go toe-to-toe with models costing 10x more - often even measures better than they do too. I’ve witnessed this personally through careful auditioning of our competitor’s rooms and setups while attending hi-fi shows. I do see how the Moab as we offer it could easily ruffle the feathers of some upper-end persnickety audiophile types. 

Eric Alexander - audio designer

Right. Peer in a port and tell people what I see and instead of "well that's interesting" people completely make stuff up. Just to argue I guess. They do love to argue. And take things personally. Like little children. Unable to think of anyone or anything but themselves.  

The Moabds are indeed really well built. They would have to be, as by definition in audio how well something is built is determined by how good it sounds- and Moabs sound spectacularly good! Right out of the box! That is one thing that comes through loud and clear in this review, and that would also appear to be one thing certain people absolutely cannot stand.  

They just aren't built in a way that would make them cost $40k. Or more. Which would be fine. They would still beat and out sell even as pretty little Faberge egg museum pieces. Its just a lot less of us working stiffs would be able to afford them. Which is another factor in upending the apple cart- you're just not supposed to be able to get performance like this through the mail, but only after paying honor and big fat fees to some snooty high end dealer who will come and set them up for you. 

Speaking of setup, toed them out a bit more last night. Now focused about 3 feet behind my head. Imaging is just as focused as before but now the sound opens up a shade and the stage actually seems a bit more coherent L/R, a thing I would not have thought possible, it was already so good! 
Listening- it’s ok for people to claim that these tektons are better than $30k up to the most expensive Wilson’s, but it’s not ok to say there are speakers that are less expensive that are every bit as good or better. There are $2-$4k Speakers that I have owned that are better. You need better quality gear to hear the better speakers
@tektondesign 

Eric, 

I sent you an email a few days ago inquiring about speakers. Haven’t heard back yet. 
Friendly reminder. =)
Listening- it’s ok for people to claim that these tektons are better than $30k up to the most expensive Wilson’s, but it’s not ok to say there are speakers that are less expensive that are every bit as good or better. There are $2-$4k Speakers that I have owned that are better. You need better quality gear to hear the better speakers

Maybe I missed it, and I'm not going back through 30 pages to find out, but have you ever actually heard the Moabs?

Oz