DENAFRIPS DAC ---- Owner Impressions, Feedback, General Discussion, Questions and more....

Thread for OWNER IMPRESSIONS, FEEDBACK, QUESTIONS, ETC. regarding DENAFRIPS DACs.

DENAFRIPS lists the following R2R DACs:

Ares, Pontus, Venus, and Terminator (in increasing price order).

"DENAFRIPS incorporated in year 2012, focus in developing high end audio equipment at a very affordable price. Throughout the years of intense Research & Development, and continuous improvement of the product lines, DENAFRIPS had finally settled with the current product range equipped with R-2R ladder DAC technology. The reason behind this is the designer strongly believe that R-2R DAC is the best way to reproduce music.

The name, DENAFRIPS, stand for:

D-ynamic
E-xquisite
N-atural
A-ttractive
F-idelity
R-efined
I-ntoxicating
P-ure
S-ophisticated

This mean a lot and it is the house-sound of all DENAFRIPS products." [Copied From Denafrips About Us section]
david_ten
As intriguing as this is, the 45mhz clock links between his products are a closed architecture as far as I can see. I would love to try it, but have been using a 10mhz clock link between Esoteric and SOtM products and see no way to interoperate without a complete reboot. A 10mhz clock link also fits into the studio recording environment.  From a marketing standpoint it would have been better for Terminator to have taken a closer look at what established manufacturers are doing with master clocks.
Hello guys,

We would like to inform you that the new version Thesycon 4.86 of Windows USBAudio Driver is available.

NEW:
  • - Support for Windows 10 version 2004
  • - Various improvements and bug fixes

The history file with changes can be downloaded at:
http://www.thesycon.de/usbaudio/TUSBAudio_history.txt

Please download it here: link
https://www.denafrips.com/support

Many thanks.

Yours sincerely,
Alvin Chee
www.vinshineaudio.com
Thanks!  I've been using the DENAFRIPS Ares ii with HYSOLID App on my iphone and Windows 10 on my PC for the USB input.  It seems to work fine for DSD files and others.  What do you think?
@73max I am very glad you have brought up the intermittent distortion issue, I have been experiencing the same thing for months now. It is a metallic ringing scratching noise that is a constant distortion over the music. It happens at random when switching to a next track or resuming playback. The fix is to pause and restart playback, it's almost like the read/write of the buffer gets corrupted.

Clearly this isn't an isolated incident, have you been able to get in touch with Alvin and/or fix the issue?
@73max, @divertiti - I think I have experienced the same thing. The first couple times this happened, I had assumed it was a bad file being streamed and I just skipped past it. After recently reading this thread, I decided to look at what was playing when it happened today and noticed that Roon had switched to a different album streaming from Qobuz at 192Khz, 24 bit. Restarting the song, it played perfectly. 

I recently decided to try using a direct USB connection between my NUC (running ROCK - essentially the same as the Nucleus+) and my Termi instead of using a streamer. I think I heard this problem before switching to the USB connection, but I'm not completely sure.

I also have a Bryston BDP-2 connected via AES3. I'm trying to decided whether to keep this since I now have my Roon server running on a fanless NUC (with LPS) next to my equipment.

I added Qobuz to the mix only a few weeks ago, so it could have started with this. I have very few high-res downloads, so prior to Qobuz, I was using RIPed CDs and Tidal and had a lot less switching between sample rates.

So I'm not sure if this is just an issue with USB, or a broader issue. I'm also not sure if it is a Roon problem or a Terminator problem. My current configuration is using Roon power-of-2 upsampling and NOS turned off on the DAC.