Why was the entry level line at Audio Research eliminated?

One of my first tube preamps was the SP-16. I believe it was the last preamp that founder William Z. Johnson developed. Price was around 2K-2.5K w/phono. It was an excellent reliable preamp. But now if you want a new entry level ARC it's not available. Too bad. Was it just not profitable. It was an excellent way to get into their gear and move up the ladder over time.
luxmancl38
It's a shame CJ also went in that direction. The Classic 2 cost around $1750 and $2200 w/phono. Excellent American made entry level gear. 
Hi,
competitiveness both in pricing and performance.  i believe ARC run out of ideas in entry level as sp-9 cannnot be stretched any further. Downsizing affecting production? I always remember ARC gear to evolve from low to high and not the opposite. Some companies are moving  upscale, risky but inevitable.
Prima Luna.
I'd say so. 
Ck out the bidding on PL units,, Hot items. That is one brand which retains most,,well lets say a higher resale margin vs many other brands. PL is made in Spark lab,,, where Cayin is made, which i can testify matches up to any famous high priced american labs. 
I'd put my Cayin CD17 Mark 1(modded with new caps and new Descrete opamps. = $700 mod) ) up to any Cary cdp. in a shootout.