Duelund conversion to DIY Helix Geometry Cabling

I have been an avid user of the Duelund cabling for over two years now and have used them exclusively in my system with great results. I have built many for friends and have used a full loom of interconnects, speaker cables, power cords and an extensive wiring modification for a previously owned balanced power conditioner utilizing Duelund 600V PolyCast wiring which was transformative. My cabling desires can be a little addictive as I have owned and evaluated 40+ brands of cabling costing more than an entire stereo system!

Over the past six months I stumbled upon a thread here on Audiogon in regards to a Helix designed cabling and as you probably already know, I just had to look a little deeper into this cable design…After a month of studying and sourcing parts, I decided to reach out to the designer/architect, Williewonka who gave more insights and philosophy on how the cable came into existence.

That conversation got the ball rolling in converting one of my KLE Duelund interconnects to Steve’s Helix designed which only entailed replacing the neutral with a Mil-Spec 16 AWG silver-plated copper wire with the neural wire being 3 times longer than the signal wire and of course the “Coiling” of the neutral wire : )

After the modification was complete, I was not sure what to expect from the Helix cabling but I was quite shocked with the results with “ZERO” burn-in time…The sound stage became much wider/deeper with a much tighter/focused image and clarity/transparency is like nothing I have ever heard in any cabling regardless of cost. In fact, I just sold a full loom of a commercially designed Helix Cable that’s renowned around the world and has more direct sale than any cable manufacturer; these $200 DIY Helix Cables walked all over them…

I believe you will hear the same results as I have and have heard back from friends who have already modified their Duelunds with the same results; WOW! Remember the cables will need 200+ hours to burn-in and settle into your system. My system is now 90% DIY Helix to include IC, SC, PC and Coax with each cabling adding its beauty of an organic and natural presentation that draws you into the fabric of the music.

You can tailor the sound of your cables using Duelund, Mundorf silver/1% gold, the outstanding Vh Audio OCC Solid Copper or Silver with Airlok Insulation or your favorite wiring and you can change it at any time…

http://www.image99.net/blog/files/category-diy-cables.html

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/difference-in-sound-between-copper-and-silver-digital-cables

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/adding-shielding-to-existing-cables

Enjoy,

Wig

128x128wig
@roberttdid - I have been advised by many in the past of the points you have posted above (and more) and have been "ridiculed" in my approach and design.

Many people on the various forums where the helix design have been discussed would "appear" to have significantly more electrical knowledge than myself, but their comments are purely conjecture, since none of them have actually tried the cables for themselves at the time they made the comments

Most high end commercial products are designed by people with far more knowledge/experience about cable design than myself, in labs with huge amounts of resources.

And yet, my cables continue to outperform many of the high end commercial products available.

WRT Your comment about the coil not reducing magnetic interference - I tried a simple test back in time, to verify the effectiveness of the Helix coil for this purpose...
- I selected my phono stage on my amp
- I turned the volume to full
- I held in my clenched fist a standard power cable and a Helix IC connecting the TT to the phono stage
- I observed hum
- I repeated the same process but using the helix power cable and the same Helix IC
- the hum was reduced significantly to almost zero

So, I concluded (rightly or wrongly) that the helix coil was having the same effect as a faraday cage in reducing EMI/RFI - perhaps I am wrong, but my ears told me otherwise.

I would love to partner up with someone that has the , knowledge experience and equipment to be able to measure the effectiveness of these cables, so I could explain WHY these cables work so well, but until then I will continue to trust my ears.

One of the "side effects" of implementing the Helix cables across an entire system that I have observed...
- the solid state components tend to run noticeably cooler.
- I actually measure the reduced heat output and for source components they can run 3-4 Celsius cooler
- and my amp runs 5-6 degrees Celsius cooler.

Why? - I do not know, but I see reduced heat as a good side effect

If you can shed any "light" as to why the cables work so well I would be more than willing to listen, since my reasoning’s are not verified by actual measurement, or as some like to point out - a lack of sound electrical knowledge

BTW - I have posted capacitance and inductance values for the various cables on my web site
http://image99.net/blog/files/0e1ba96cb878bd4ad7c14097b25d258a-82.html

Also, many thanks for your very civil post (honestly) - most people that "disagree" with the Helix design just say I am posting nonsense and should not be believed. (or words to that effect).

Regards - Steve

I was careful in my wording about magnetic interference. Grabbing a cable with your hand is electrostatic interference predominantly and the helix winding will help just like a coax cable will help.  Where it won't is say near a transformer in an aluminum case, or other incidences of magnetic coupling.

WRT Your comment about the coil not reducing magnetic interference - I tried a simple test back in time, to verify the effectiveness of the Helix coil for this purpose...
- I selected my phono stage on my amp
- I turned the volume to full
- I held in my clenched fist a standard power cable and a Helix IC connecting the TT to the phono stage
- I observed hum
- I repeated the same process but using the helix power cable and the same Helix IC
- the hum was reduced significantly to almost zero

Keep in mind, I am not knocking the sonic outcome, I am just describing what is happening.

w.r.t. your equipment running "cooler", I am skeptical, but may I ask, is you amplifier Class-A?  How did you measure the temperature?  If it was with one of those IR ones, they can vary a lot if not used properly.

One interesting thing with adding a large inductor in series with a linear power supply is that the output voltage of the linear power supply will drop. Lower output voltage = lower heat.  I doubt you are adding enough inductance to achieve this though.  You are also adding resistance with the longer wire which also will lower the voltage.  Then again, the AC may have been 115 one day, and 125 the other day when you measured the temps.
@roberttdid - yes it's infra red, but a pretty good one - for the amp I measured in two very specific places - on the faceplate near the heatsink and on the heatsink. Each time the music has been played for a similar length of time and at a similar volume level, with similar tracks.

Same process with the source components.

A similar experience was observed with the Bluesound Powernode 2 on my AV system and a couple of phono stages.

WRT:   Where it won't is say near a transformer in an aluminum case, or other incidences of magnetic coupling.

I try to keep my cables well away from transformers of any kind
:-)

Regards - Steve
@stringreen - very similar, but only their IC's - they employ different geometries for speaker and power cables

Regards - Steve