...do great speakers increase in value over time in the vintage market?

Hello to all...

I have a pair of JBL L25 "PRIMA" speakers, made 1972, case in 7/10 shape (not repainted), surrounds on woofers reformed several years ago, grill cloth replaced several years ago, includes JBL badges on speakers. Original 1972 price $169/ea. 

Recent searches of this speaker in the vintage market show prices 50% OR MORE than the origional issue price: ???

Is this that good a speaker design? - I have read comments saying it his/was one of the best speakers ever made by JBL (at that time?) - and I do luv their sound (which I now wonder if I've ever really heard them?) especially with well-recorded jazz and have the ability with little power to ROCK OUT!

(Would greatly appreciate any comments by those who have/had these over the years...)

DO GREAT SPEAKERS INCREASE IN VALUE OVER TIME, or do/should all depreciate in value...
insearchofprat
Depends upon 2 things I think.

1 The rate of inflation

2 The size of the loudspeaker - large speakers will always tend to cost more as cabinet construction costs usually far exceed driver costs.

Their comparitive replacements in say 15-20 years time will cost an awful lot more.

Hence large Tannoys, JBLs, Harbeth’s, Spendor's etc can never be bought for less than their original sale price.
HI 
Some vintage speakers can hold very high value and not only due to nostalgia.
They still make great sounds, but the problem comes when you have to refurbish as newer replacing materials should be carefuly matched if to sound close to original. 
Quads, AR, Spendor, KEF, Rogers, Celestion, JBL, Pioneer, Sony, Tanoy's...all have some vintage propositions for modern systems and good ears.
using 14g solid core copper wire twisted, with bare ends, as speaker wire (may experiment with lampcord at your suggestion... )

Uh, that was not my suggestion. That was simply what we used, because back in the 70's everyone I knew was under the spell of Stereo Review and Julian Hirsch saying the wire just needs to be thick enough gauge. Many years later I learned just how much better wire can be. But back then it was lamp cord. Ordinary wire. 

Wonder how not being mirror-image affects sound dispersion.

Well its asymmetrical that's for sure! But that's the least of it. The baffles are wide, and the baffle is even recessed into the cabinet. About the only thing they did right was the little ring of foam around the tweeter. Better than nothing I guess. But hey, this was the 70's! 

At least you got the more tasteful cream color. Can't be sure after all these years but it seemed I got a deal partly because nobody wanted yellow and orange!