...do great speakers increase in value over time in the vintage market?

Hello to all...

I have a pair of JBL L25 "PRIMA" speakers, made 1972, case in 7/10 shape (not repainted), surrounds on woofers reformed several years ago, grill cloth replaced several years ago, includes JBL badges on speakers. Original 1972 price $169/ea. 

Recent searches of this speaker in the vintage market show prices 50% OR MORE than the origional issue price: ???

Is this that good a speaker design? - I have read comments saying it his/was one of the best speakers ever made by JBL (at that time?) - and I do luv their sound (which I now wonder if I've ever really heard them?) especially with well-recorded jazz and have the ability with little power to ROCK OUT!

(Would greatly appreciate any comments by those who have/had these over the years...)

DO GREAT SPEAKERS INCREASE IN VALUE OVER TIME, or do/should all depreciate in value...
insearchofprat
Matter of fact everything does this. Just try and find something from 1972, still around and in good condition, that’s not seizing for more now than then.

General rule is 15 years of depreciation is followed by endless appreciation. Yes folks another one missed by everyone but me.
almost all don’t, it’s a rare one that does...and often vintage gear actually sells for far far less than those hopeful asking prices...
millercarbon

Your "bandwidth" and ability to relay that pleasantly continues to awe me ( and I did correctly mean awe, not augh!...)

Thanks for your blurb here...

BTW: in another forum - if I remember correctly - you said you had these once upon a time: any comments about them?
JL35:
almost all don’t, it’s a rare one that does...and often vintage gear actually sells for far far less than those hopeful asking prices...
+1.

The ultimate example of speakers increasing in value over time (actually just the drivers themselves) would undoubtedly be drivers made by Western Electric in the 1930s, originally for theatre applications but now revered by many audiophiles and worth not so small fortunes. Vintage Tannoy speakers and drivers have also increased greatly in value, as have a number of others including certain vintage Jensen models, Altec’s version of the Western Electric 755A driver (used in Acoustic Research’s original AR-1 speaker), etc.

I would draw a parallel to the field of antique radio collecting, which is another hobby of mine. Among vintage radios, say from the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s, most are worth much less than a non-collector might envision. But a few that are special in some way (as well as being rare) are worth vastly more than might be expected by someone who is not particularly knowledgeable about such things.

Regards,
-- Al