Why would I need Roon?

I have a Blue sound streamer with plenty of files at my fingertips, via a hard drive plugged in the back and multiple streaming services. Can someone help me understand what Roon would add to my set-up? Thanks. 
128x128hilde45
@barts 

Your setup is similar to mine except I have an external DACalizer.  When you gots a few minutes to play around why don’t you fire up a Roon core on your network (pc,linux or Mac) host.  Really easy then to switch the BDP to an endpoint.  Roon Core will see it strait away, then just log into your Qobuz account.  I even have a code for a 60 day trial of Roon that came with my SGC ST I will let you have if you want to do some testing.   Get a 2nd opinion on how the MPD running on Manic Moose compares to The Roons.
I would be interested in a comparison of Roon vs. Bluesound.  I have a DAC/ integrated amplifier that can handle either.

@barts

Like you, I also have the Bryston BDP 3.0 / BDA 3.0 set up - and find the convenience and sound quality amazing - using the Bryston Manic Moose software.

And... like you... I do not understand how the BDP software can affect the sound quality in any manner.

So... I’m also very curious... as to how Roon, or any other BDP software, can have an effect on the sound quality of what’s being processed by the DAC. It would seem that the BDP software is only providing the digital file to the DAC and that "bits are bits," no matter how they’re being transmitted to the DAC.

So... count me among those that may be skeptical that there is any difference in the sound quality of a digital file until it is processed by the DAC.

Hopefully - there is someone here who has enough engineering knowledge to provide a rational explanation.

Though, I suppose it could relate to how quiet (noise free) the BDP is - some may well be quieter than others, and the interface cable can certainly make a difference in the sound quality (AES/EBU vs USB, etc.). So... I wonder if that is actually causing the difference in sound quality some are noting between software products.
I am using a Bryston BDP-2 as a Roon endpoint, connected to my Roon ROCK via ethernet (with an EtherRegen in between), and AES/EBU connection to my Denafrips Terminator.

I did not hear a difference between Roon and Manic Moose, but far prefer Roon for all the reasons mentioned above (UI, library integration, multi-zone support, DSP processing). 

The Denafrips Terminator buffers and reclocks the digital data, even when using an interface with timing signals (like AES/EBU and SPDIF), so perhaps this is why I'm not hearing a difference.
@soundchsr 
OP - I believe you can run Roon on your PC and then use the Node2i as the endpoint. That way the PC does all the work but the endpoint is away from the noise of the PC so it should sound better (in theory, according to Roon).

I have a friend that does that. He uses a fanless linux computers, built with a kit and very simply; one stores and processes the files then they're sent via an optical cable to another computer that serves them up to his system. It's pretty amazing.

I've just put a system together, so I may be exhausted and will come back to this, but in my present state of mind, the notion of having another processing unit in addition to the Bluesound Node makes me think that I just bought the wrong streamer. I mean, how complex does it have to be to serve up a digital file? I bet I change my mind after a while, but for now, it feels like a lot.