DAC Measurements vs Actual Experience

I have spent the last two days evaluating which of these two DACs I will be keeping:
1) Benchmark DAC3
2) PS Audio DirectStream

I'm foregoing the use of a dedicated preamp; the chosen DAC will serve that purpose.* 

I had read up on the technical side of each of these exhaustively before purchase. For those of you who aren't familiar, the Benchmark DAC3 measures quite well in every category. The PS Audio DirectStream, on the other hand, not so much. In fact, Audio Science Review places these two near opposite ends of its SINAD (signal-to-noise-and-distortion) list with the PS Audio being positioned near the bottom. Stereophile also provided measurements in their review that painted the PS Audio in an unfavorable light. 

And yet the DirectStream is proving to provide a sound that is more, dare I say, musical. It's a bit more relaxed, sounding a tad reserved in comparison to the DAC3, and the presentation of 100 Hz and lower seems to be slightly vague, but it's also less edgy, possessing a better soundstage, and is overall ever-so-slightly more enjoyable. So what am I doing wrong?

* Is it worth considering putting a dedicated preamp downstream of the DAC3 in hopes of gaining a more favorable sound? 
sixfour3
I've never liked using volume in apps I set it to fixed and use the controls on the preamp or DAC or integrated depending on what I'm using. Obviously you can't do that with the DS. 
Post removed 
Hello,  I have owned the PS Audio DS DAC with Bridge, the Auralic Vega G2 and the Mola Mola Tambaqui (in the Makua Pre amp).  Many good posts here.  My experiences:

1) +1 to Michelle:  in all situations a good pre amp improved everything.  It just did.  I tried both the PS Audio and the Auralic without and with different pre amps (PS Audio BHK Signature and Audionet Pre 1 G3).

2) I identify with your comments about the sound of the PS Audio; In comparison it was veiled and dirty sounding to me.  Also there was always noise with the PS Audio stuff.  The Auralic is way more clear and detailed.  the Tambaqui is amazingly revealing and wonderful.

3) +1 to Michelle again!  The cables and interconnects make a huge difference.  With the PS Audio stuff I upgraded to some mid-grade silver clad balanced interconnects and speaker cables.  They helped the PS Audio equipment gain clarity and resolution.  But with the more resolving DAC's, the silver clad cables were too harsh.  I demo's several brands and chose Audience AU24-SX.  Smooooooth all copper, great midrange and bass, clear but not harsh. Relaxing in comparison.  

4) Get the Mac out of the system...all my DAC's also streamed so easy there, no separate streamer required.
My journey took me to clarity and resolution...hearing things I never heard before.  Good Luck!  Ken
If you want a shrill/way too analytical/fatigue sounding dac, the benchmark is your dac. I would walk into a room at an audio show and know if it was a benchmark dac, I could only stand listening for a couple minutes before we had to leave.If you want a musical sounding/fpga based/networked attached Roon endpoint, get the ps audio. A couple times a year you get a free software upgrade that has improved the sound each release as well as adding functionality like MQA. Measurements don’t tell the whole story, your ears have the final word
Many DACS measure like crap but sound great.  Forget measurements and go with what your ears say and not worry about it.