DIY "HiFi" cables - and why I don't trust BJC and the likes

After watching these two youtube vid below, I suspect a lot of online so audio cables companies are like these.  They basically use off-the-shelf spool of wire that you can easily purchase from HomeDepot or PartsExpress and dress them up nicely with fancy jackets.  I think BJC falls into one of these categories although for their credit, they don't charge a lot of money.  

I don't mean all audio cable companies are like that.  I do think some well established companies such as AudioQuest, QED ... actually have some real engineering going into their products.  For example, QED has a very unique geometry in their cables that you can't get from off-the-shelf.  It's just that there are too many online companies that give the cable industry a bad name.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuxK-HQGvkI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyEexBJoR-E
andy2
Well of course one can make outstanding DIY cables with the high quality of today’s DIY products. To argue otherwise is just plain incorrect. DIY is one area in Audio that is growing and doing well. Lots of innovation going on in this space. Great parts have been developed and are now available to the DIY community. Yes, the Helix cable link is a great example. The wonderful conductors sold by Duelund combined with KLEI RCA plugs/bananas or Vampire XLR’s is yet another great example. As long as the builder is reasonably skilled/some experience then the outcome can certainly as good or better than “branded” cables selling for $100-$4000.

I also build USB cables that me and my customers know sonically surpass the big brands selling for up to $1100. We have done the listening tests. Too busy with other responsibilities right now to build cables for Agoners right now, but I have sold many. I was not manufacturing or designing my own conductors, rather I develop recipes through testing, building and fine tuning with conductors and parts readily available to all of us.

Seems this is a blind spot for MillerCarbon as he keeps typing this false narrative. He often offers good advice, but seems a bad experience or two has narrowed his view on this topic. Too bad really as this is one area where Aphiles can save big money, learn, and enjoy the process of building cables with their own hands. Very rewarding.
DIY cables are a joke. Not that a lot of guys haven't deluded themselves into believing the fantasy you just...

you are a joke...
DIY cables are so bad, such a total waste of time and money ..

reading this crap is waste of time..
mozartfan.
Because the higher the grade of the conductor the more low level information is available. I have tried various forms of copper, don't kid yourself it all matters. If you want the best.

I probably have about $500 total into my DIY pure silver power cord, but it out performs the mega dollar power cords I have compared it to. And, it is powering my Niagara 7000 which most of my equipment is plugged into.

ozzy

two left handed individuals with yapping syndrome making absolute statements about the stuff they wish they could themselves.....ie. had one left+one right hand...