Revel Ultima Salon 2's vs B&W 802d's

Alrighty, I've seen some discussion here on these speakers. I'm currently doing a demo in my home on the Revels vs the B&W 802d's (I own both). In the near future I'm selling one or the other pair here.

Suggestions for the demo (i.e. CD's)?
Opinions?
Things to look for?

They both sound good and have different characteristics. I'll post some thoughts later - I've got some opinions now, but I want a longer test with these speakers.

Now guys I don't need to hear how this or that speaker is better than these two - I'll do another comparison later (IOW's no hobby horse discussions).

PS. I'm an old fart so some of my high end hearing is gone. I'm trying to listen a bunch before I go deaf and to ingrain good sound into my synapses.
Later.
Ag insider logo xs@2xnab2
please read this new current month issue of 'Stereophile'. Kal Rubinson does his usual great job of reviewing both the new B and W 800 diamond; and the Meridian 861 v6; he really liked the 802 diamonds he reviewed earlier; and feels that the 800's are even better. He only briefly at the end tries to compare them to other quality speakers he has reviewed; including the Salon 2's; from back in 2008, but doesn't really get into comparing the differences or which flavor of these he prefered. Granted the 800 diamonds are not the 802's, but are closer in price to the Ultima 2's. It seems that with each version; B and W is getting improved reviews; and better sound, and more coherent. All I can say; is that during my listening session at a dealer's audio room; I prefered the Revel's over the new 802 diamonds; I have not heard the 800 diamonds which were just reviewed by Kal. Not sure you need to audition each speaker with identical amps; as Audioquest wrote; some amps do make better magic and synergy with different speakers; and again; this is all personal taste and preference...what I think posters are really getting at is to help them prevent buyers remorse at these price points; and may not truly trust their own ability to audition properly, and want some keepback. It can be daunting to go in to a dealer; with your own cd's and be critical, and take time, etc. Best of course is in home demo in my opinion, but that may take a leap of faith from dealer; and a sense you are not kicking tires; to then buy used on the 'Gon.
It is difficult, if not impossible, to make acute comparisons to a speaker that one has not heard in 2 years and it would be misleading if I attempted it.

I do appreciate your interest in such a comparison and my comparisons are as site-specific as any you would do in a showroom although I have a greater familiarity with my room/system.

Kal
In response to Nab2's last post. Why do you need all of these other comments on the two speakers in question if you have already determined that the Revel is ultimately the winner in your listening evaluations? You yourself said that the "Revels really kill the 802's". Would you have decided to keep the 802's had all the comments been pro 802 even if the Revels still sounded better to you?

It is very true that loudspeakers are a very personal preference. Since this thread started I have talked to other audiophiles and dealers alike that thought the B&Ws kill the Revels. It also appears Mr Kal Rubinson Of Stereophile seems to favour the B&W's also.

I guess it boils down to what YOU like regardless of other opinions. I've been an audiophile for 38 years now and it still amazes me of what people think is good and what is not. Please note that even though I own a pair of 802D's, I'm not trying to convince anyone here that this is the speaker to choose. I have found this thread extremely interesting and insightful. All of you seem very knowledgeable.
Sorry about my delay in response, I’ve been without internet access (in the wilderness) and haven’t been able to respond.

To Mribob:
Point taken on the amps – that’s why I was asking for opinion on amplification. Part of my question was, given the two amps that I have whether one might sound better He and also looking for reasonably priced suggestions for amplification in the future (and whether to biamp).

I’m aware of the price differential, but in the used market the differential partially evaporates (the B&W’s hold their resale better) so that the 802d’s sell for around 9000 and the Revels for around 12,000. Instead of an 8000 difference in list you have a closer price point with the 800d’s falling in between.

To Mr_M
First, regarding my “need” of comments if I’ve already determined a winner: Read the posts, I haven’t already determined a winner, what I have done is reached PRELIMINARY conclusions (I figured I’d shout too). You might also note that I started the thread on April 4, on April 16 I made some observations, asked about placement and amplifiers again, and on April 19th I said that my initial impression was that the Revel’s “killed” the 802s. I’m still open for suggestions as to placement of speakers (thanks to James63 for your comments with which I agree BTW), CD’s to listen to that might show off the 802’s or the Revels and amplification suggestions. Let me refine my comments: I shouldn’t have said a “blanket”, it’s more like a sheet.

Second, you ask if I would have kept the 802’s if I thought the Revels were better but folks said the 802’s were better: No, but that’s not the point is it? Read the thread, I asked for things to look for etc in the demo and I asked for amplification advice. I didn’t ask for YOU to tell me which one to keep. Though I am curious what other folks think about the strengths/weaknesses of the speakers.

I’ve got to say that I’m amazed at audiophiles like YOU who seem to want to shut off discussion because “it’s all in the ear of the behearer” and it’s all personal preference anyway. Good grief. Haven’t you ever been to a restaurant and tried someone else’s dish? Or talked about a meal that you enjoyed someplace and found that you had a different opinion from others who ate there, but you enjoyed the conversation just the same? Well, I generally do too until one of the folks says something like “You know I’ve talked to some really well known restaurateurs around here and they think you’re wrong about that dish. Hey I’ve been eating food for 38 years and it still amazes me of what people think is good and what is not. Heck, it’s all about individual taste buds anyway, but you all seem pretty knowledgeable here and I’ve enjoyed the conversation.” Pretty well shuts down the discussion at that point, don’t it?

Friend, I'm not hitting on your speakers - I like the 802's, this isn't a contest about who is right. It is a discussion about subjective impressions. An exercise that partially defines us as humans. I doubt if many animals are out there comparing their experiences("Hey Bert, did you hear that coyote? Keep your head down, but did you notice how sibilant he was on the last yelp there. - - Hey Bessie, how's that cud taste?").

To all
I’ll still posts some more impressions later one. In the meantime I’m still interested in what you guys/gals think and any suggestions you have. I’ve been in this hobby for longer than Mr_M and still find that I can learn things – besides my hearing ain’t what it was and I’m not willing to subject myself to the kinds of things I did when I was younger.
PS Sorry for all the typos in the previous post. I just got back and was typing for all I was worth - apparently I'm not worth much. I have no idea why the word "He" appears in my third sentence or why I wrote "posts" instead of "post" in the last paragraph. Ah well, such is life.

Later.