Pioneer Direct Drives - Now and then?

I'm toying with the idea of getting into vinyl in the near future, and saw a recent model Pioneer recommended as a poor-man's Technics.  Also saw some very pretty vintage units for sale here and there.

I'm wondering if anyone has direct experience with them who could offer suggestions?
erik_squires
helomech, Was interested in your comment about "forced-weightiness and digital-like glare typical of DD tables". Would you care to back that up? Exactly what turntables have exhibited those qualities in your system? And can you define "forced-weightiness"? Thanks.
Herb Reichert does a better job describing it in his review of the PLX. In fact, "forced-weightiness" might be his term. I read it somewhere as I recall and felt it very apt to what I've heard from the PLX and various DD tables I've owned. Some of those would include vintage Pioneer, Kenwood, Technics and MCS tables. 

"Would I care to back that up?" Well, I'm not the only one who has noticed this trait but most things in this hobby are subjective. A bit of Google searching will turn up posts from others who've noticed the same.
Hi Erik! Start your vinyl journey right, and you'll buy not only 5 records, but definitely more. If you want a set and forget set up just to get started, I agree that a good DD turntable is what you need. And good tonearm, cartridge and electronics of course. 

I started my vinyl journey not too long ago with a  70's-era Technics SL-150MK2 sporting SME Series III and Shure V15 Type IV with NOS MR stylus. For peace of mind I recapped the turntable electronics. Phono output went into a vintage Scott 340b receiver. This receiver was also painstakingly restored. That set up got me hooked. Now I have a VPI and c-j phono stage, thanks to a wonderful first experience.  A friend of mine who inspired me to get into vinyl started out with the KAB SL-1200MK2. 

I suggest you listen to the gentleman from St Petersburg. Happy listening! 

I actually have a PL 530 taking up space under the bed.  I kept it primarily for the auto function but that was a problem a few years ago.  I got it used for next to nothing back in the 90's but it wasn't in great shape, plinth mostly and no dust cover.
I had a Pioneer PL 550 turntable . It was heavy , sturdy , well made and beautiful to look at . Above all it sounded exceptionally well . Had it in combination with a Supex high output moving coil , the SD 901 .

Even now if I could put my hands on one at a good price I would buy it in a heart beat . The problem is that when being sold nowadays they are charging in many cases over 700 dollars .

I bought.mine at the navy base for 340.00 dollars . In 1980 the list price was over 500.00 so today it would be easily over 900.00 dollars new . 

When I wanted to add a new TT to my collection of vintage TTs I chose the Pioneer PLX1000 as the best value under $1K. Excellent build quality! I added a Denon 103R mc cartridge and am very happy with this matchup!