Is it really worth it to get a phono stage over $10k

Vinyl has been a steep learning curve. I have, I think, a nice John Curl phono boards built into my Audible Illusions M3B. I am considering getting the new AI PH-1 $11.5 phono stage. Art Ferris at AI  says that this two box unit, also designed by John Curl, is no compromise able to match or beat the best available. Curl did design the two Constellation PS-Andromeda and Perseus. I wonder if the $35k Perseus puts a lot of $ into the beautiful chassis and unnecessary bell and whistles? AI does have a long lived reputation for value and quality. In addition to the outboard phono stage I will have to get a really good interconnect which will add a lot. My analog rig is super good. Surely the best I have ever had. Woodsong Garrard 301, Ortophon 309 arm, Myajima Shalabi. It has me going a bit nuts in upgrading. $33k Tetra speakers, $7k Stealth speaker cable, $4k Stealth phono cable, amp-to be decided. The main question is whether an expensive our board phono stage is the way to go.
mglik
Absolutely YES.We build a custom phono stage point to point wired, 30 lb power supply, custom transformers, best capacitors, best resistors to our ears, and it is simply better than anything we have heard or repaired. Tube unit and dead quiet.  Reference sound quality. When we sent to VPI, they told us that they never heard sound like that before.

Happy Listening.
Yes.  Better is always good.  I have recently upgraded from Audio Research to van den Hul The Grail SE and the improvement is big.  But not 5x bigger reference the relative prices.  More like a 9.5 against a 7.  I don't say 10 because I haven't heard the $40,000+ units that cost more than 2x the Grail.  There is always an opportunity to spend more dough.  Diminishing returns are alive and thriving in the high-end world and will remain so.
@mglik,Last fall I was in the same position. Had tried over 10 phono stages (bought and sold, so was able to live with them for a few months) in the 2K to 8K range. Some were better than others, and some were no better than what I was using at the time (hot rodded Manley chinook).
So finally took the plunge. All I can say it there are several out there in that price range. Make sure you get one that has really beefy dual mono transformers.

I have never heard the dynamics and impact like I have now, inner detail and imaging have improved. There is an ease to the sound I have never heard from an LP before. I also have quite a collection of 15 ips half track tapes. have to say LP playback got much closer to tape than I would have envisioned.

so would say if you can work out an extended trial period, def do so.
And like you I was pretty sure the  purchase was not going to be worth the money, and I would hear little or no difference between a five figure phono stage and what I had been using. found out I was wrong in the first 10 seconds of use.

hope this helps.