The very best sound: Direct to Disc

Since I got a new cartridge (Clear Audio Virtuoso) i’ve rediscovered the Sheffield and RR Direct Disc albums in my collection.  
Wow! they put everything else to shame.  I picked up about twenty Sheffield D2D’s when Tower Records went out of business for a song (no pun intended.) I’m just now listening to them and find there’s nothing that sonically compares.  They’re just more real sounding than anything else.  Not spectacular but realistic.   
128x128rvpiano
Dear @daveyf  : ""  IF you think that a digital recording can compete with these labels and formats, well that may say something about your posts""

If we compare D2D LPs against digital recorded LPs and other than the medium the main difference with LPs recorded using a tape recorder is that D2D and digital ones recordings do not use a tape recorder.

Tape recorder can't degrades/damages those 0,1s .Digital cutting LP process signal is the original signal as in D2D process. Yes, you need a DAC but the level of degradation down there is not at all significant as we can think and what I'm talking about is for those top digital LPs recordings.

I own hundreds of digital recorded LPs and almost all are really bad but the ones that are good ones are LPs that you can put it along those well recorded D2D LPs. I have not the time now but I will give you some digital LPs examples of that quality level condition.

"""  Now if in your system you can't detect that big difference in between then could be maybe because your room/system has not yet the resolution to be aware of." so IF you don't hear the differences when you go back to 'some digital recordings'...then maybe look no further. """

Fortunatelly and as you my room/system resolution is not only high but way higher than normal systems. I can be aware of almost everything on differences in quality levels.

At least you need to listen in your system the West Music Paramita digital  recorded LP that I posted here twice.

R.

Dear @daveyf  : ""  What you just posted accounts for the differences in music/performance, not so much to the sound of the recording. ""

How is that, please explain it? because if the choice of the microphones position is " wrong " that affects the qualñity of the sound recording or if the choice of the kind of microphones used is not the correct to pick-up all the instruments sound then that affects the quality of the sound reproduction the same for the quality level of the mastering.

If the recording microphones don't took in correct way a female vopice the quality sound can be the best one we can achieve for that female voice. Even the live handled of the mixing micro console is way important. Why exist different cutting heads where some engineers choosed this or that. Why not always the same cuthing head? common sense tells that because could affects the quality sound recording levels.

R.
 @rauliruegas  You posted this:" The level of stress on that precise live recording by the artist/player". Which brings about my point! 
Dear friends and  @daveyf  : This is what I posted in other thread on digital recorded LPs that can compete with D2D LPs:

"""  Now you and any one needs to listen ( is a must to. ) the digital recorded ( 24/96 ) LPs made it by WindMusic label.I own the titles Paramita and Mystical Scent. Last time I seen Paramita sealed LP on ebay was sold for over 500.00.

Well, in these as in other digital recordings I own nothing of what you posted about that digital is missing " something " happens with in my analog rig and set up that's first rate including my Phonolinepreamp.

Exist other digital recording LPs that comes from " old " times and the ones mastered by Stan Ricker and others are just  " there qwith D2D ".

Labels I can mention: Telarc ( I own over 50 LPs. ) ones but not all only some of them, Delos are excellent recordings ( Telarc and Delos used Soundstream digital recorder and mastering by Stan Ricker. ), some Denon whom designed and builded its own digital recorder and Chandos label too.

In those times was an " euphoria " for the digital LPs and several labels but almost all digital recordings in reality sound auwful/terrible like the ones from Teldec or Deca or DG or Philips or Varese Sarabande, Chalfont, etc, etc.

The digital well recorded are truly good and makes any decent room/systems shines. Unfortunatelly even in the same label not all titles are good, example: in Telarc the third and fifth piano Beethoven concertos ( R. Serkin. ) are way different in sound quality level where one of them is just lifeless, the recordings were made with two years difference in between.  ""

R.