Review on Bricasti Design M3 DAC

My review was just posted on Stereo Times website on the Bricasti Design M3 DAC. If you are searching for a DAC/streamer/analog volume control DAC, no preamp needed with the M3, in the price range of $5,000, you might want to get the details of why you might want to audition this piece. It's superlative in both build quality, innovative design, and most importantly in it's beautiful musical performance.
teajay
Regarding MQA, it is a combination of equalization and lossy compression. That some high-end manufacturers have resisted the pressure to sell it is not surprising.
I think the M3 is new enough that it ships w/ the new MDx board, but has any M1/SE owners upgraded to the MDx yet? I would love to hear some impressions of 1.49 or 1.51 firmware owners who've upgraded to MDx. Thanks.
@mrkoven I believe the M3 has now been available for over a year, first saw/heard it at 2019 Axpona so maybe the initial units did not have the new MDx boards. 
Just purchased the MDx board for my M3 and installed it myself.  Big improvement in soundstage, clarity, and air.

Total price was $720.00 shipped.  Swapping out the board was an easy process and took about 20 minutes.  

I understand that at some point in July the MDx board will increase in price to $1000.00.
Just put in a newly installed MDx board in my M1. The M1 has always been stunning, but I’d say the MDx brings extra precision, yielding impressive and clean dynamics, to the table. Clean clear but without any hint of brightness or glare.

Reminds me of an an experience I had years ago. My first 2 CD players- first Technics then CAL did  some things well, but the music didn’t “make sense”. Vocals were irritating. By 2000 I picked up a meridian 508.24. While dynamics were not its forte, it was the first digital player that made sense and where I liked the vocals. Here, the MDx makes total sense.

Removing the old board, while taking photos, and installing the new board, was easy. My initial mistake was not removing the lock washer and nut from around the S/PDIF input.

These are the tools you need- torx driver for the lid, Philips screwdriver, and a 5/8” driver or wrench for the nut on the S/PDIF (I used a 16mm with masking tape inside). A small flathead screwdriver is needed (or at least extremely useful) as well

cost was $700 plus shipping. You have to return the old board.

Essentially, you get an entirely new digital section. Power supplies and analog boards, which are mature technologies, are untouched.

The only thing so far that I see you loose is auto detect of input source.

If you have an M1 and are ok with the cost, this is a rock solid choice.