I'm here for the enthusiasts, not the snobbery

Couple of threads have shown up lately. "Should you be an audiophile if you..." either have a certain type of gear, have a certain amount of money, or don’t make your own.

I personally reject all of that. I’m here for the enthusiasts, and those who suffer. That is, people who are enthusiastic about listening to music via electronics and those who are suffering with problems who need a little help. That’s how I try to build a community.

Also want to point out, again, that this hobby was built by hobbyists and tinkerers. The range included backyard self-electrocuting iconoclasts to scientists in acoustics and electrical engineering. I’m happy to welcome them all.

Laslty, I want to say something about the Porsche metaphor:

1 - All Porsches are ugly. This is an indisputable fact no one wants to talk about and means all debate needs to stop right there.

2 - Any motorcycle is more fun and exciting than any car.

Thank you for reading this and I’m glad I had a chance to nip these conversations in the bud. << evil troll laugh >>
erik_squires
I worked with a guy that raced in the vintage class, Big BSA guy.
NO fancy suspension.. Oh Man... I think it was motocross, lots of knee action, I remember that...

He loved it. I’m walking, he’s hobbling.. He took good care of himself too. It did take its toll.
He wouldn’t drive on the street though..

Both knees and hips were in bad order at 50 or so, He’s 72 now...

Stunt rider Indian Larry suffered a similar fate as well. 
That was too bad, he was a good mechanic, too, Yup...

Regards

Couple of threads have shown up lately. "Should you be an audiophile if you..." either have a certain type of gear, have a certain amount of money, or don’t make your own.

I personally reject all of that. I’m here for the enthusiasts, and those who suffer. That is, people who are enthusiastic about listening to music via electronics and those who are suffering with problems who need a little help. That’s how I try to build a community.

+1. I've made a point of ignoring the threads you refer to in the first paragraph.

All Porsches are ugly. This is an indisputable fact ...

-1 :-)

My 2017 Macan S and 2014 Cayman S (both in the colors shown) get a lot of compliments on their appearance. Also, FWIW, my wife has a background in art among other things, and would dispute your indisputable fact :-)

Best regards,
-- Al

"You can't claim to be engaged if you don't put skin in the game."
Skull, too.

Once I asked a guy I was chatting with if I should buy a motorcycle just to try.

He said "Please do and please do not wear a helmet. I am saving for a new place."

He was a neurosurgeon.

I’d be more concerned about putting some skin on the asphalt. I once came upon a turned over motorcycle on the highway and wondered where the rider was. As it turned out he was about 100 yards up ahead, being attended to.