The very best sound: Direct to Disc

Since I got a new cartridge (Clear Audio Virtuoso) i’ve rediscovered the Sheffield and RR Direct Disc albums in my collection.  
Wow! they put everything else to shame.  I picked up about twenty Sheffield D2D’s when Tower Records went out of business for a song (no pun intended.) I’m just now listening to them and find there’s nothing that sonically compares.  They’re just more real sounding than anything else.  Not spectacular but realistic.   
128x128rvpiano
Geez guys, I said many d-2-d’s are tepid, not all of them! That’s why I was willing to pay $75 for a Mint copy of For Duke, the most I've ever spent on an LP. In the not tepid column I would include many of the Classical titles. Classical musicians are used to playing entire sides with no overdubs to correct mistakes. Jazz guys too. Have you heard the old joke about mistakes? If you repeat a "wrong" note next time around in the song, it’s no longer a mistake.
Eric - you and I have spent enough time in recording studio to realize what a feat a d2d side represents - nobody nails it perfectly. Yes the Thelma is bright , hot, saturated on spots but in the right parts her voice is monumental:-) 

happy 70th dude - will send you a disc or two - ))) Brother 
Hey @tomic601, good one! That I filed Musselwhite's d-2-d LP (Times Are Gettin' Tougher Than Tough) not in my "audiophile" section, but rather in with the "normal" LP's, proves that I value it not just for sound but for music as well. I found a copy up here in Vancouver for ten bucks, but it's not the cleanest copy. I guess the previous owner wasn't an audiophile. ;-)
One of my favorite records to listen to is: Les Brown and his band of renown Goes Direct To Disc. It was manufactured in West Germany and the label is Century Records. It says limited edition.

I was also wondering if anybody else finds 45 RPM albums to be too noisy?