Who’s been tinkering while trapped?

Have you been using any of your forced isolation time over the last few months to tinker with your HiFi gear between Zoom meetings and reruns on TV?  If so, what have you done, what have you learned, what’s worked and what hasn’t worked?  
Ag insider logo xs@2xknownothing
loads
5 tonearm boards
turntable stand with record storage
av stand
record storage
tonearm burn in device
and some naughty purchases
Hi,
reinstalled and realligned my cartridge = worked
cleaned the dust = worked
swapped all the cables in the system = did not work fully , so i have learned not to upset some things
cleaned all contacts = worked
retightened speaker drivers bolts = worked
tried to repair my R2R but spares have not arrived = did not work, learned not to order anything in situations like this

Great, thanks for sharing!

Here’s my list so far for my joint HT/HiFi system

1. took Xfinity X1 cable box out because wife took pandemic action to cut the cord - cable cord that is.  Huge relief to get that noisy POS out, more detail and blacker background across the board for all other sources now, even with power conditioning Before.

2. Listening late one night got wild hair to swap unshielded Black Shadow silver plated copper/rhodium PC from my phono front end to my digital front end replacing home assembled shielded Furutech nano particle/rhodium cable.  Wow, the Black Shadow was way better in every way.

3. Inspired, I some bulk silver plated copper DH Labs Red Wave bulk power cable on sale and swapped the Furutech F28 (R) plugs on it for my digital front end.  Boom, lots more dynamic, much more “alive”. 

4. Replaced Xfinity cable box with Amazon Fire TV Cube ($99).  Adding Fire Cube added no appreciable noise system, so way quieter than Xfinity X1, better picture and sound too.  But, Fire Cube was shutting down randomly while watching through my AVR.  Trouble shooting with Amazon technician came up with possible problem that old Pipeline HDMI cable I was using might not up to snuff.  Swapped in Audioquest Vodka HDMI (more than 3x cost of Fire Cube) I have and bang, considerably better picture and sound, and no random picture loss. Sticking with DH Labs brand for the time being, I got their HDMI Silver 2.0 and it is nearly as good as the AQ Vodka in every way. A Real bargain.

5. I have gone through a number of Toslink cables for my transport to my CD DAC and had (re) settled on Uniqueproductonline Glass Toslink Digital Optical cable as the best performer of the lot, but remembered the good people at The Cable Company telling me their favorite Toslink was the DH Labs Glass Master Toslink.  Since I was on a DH Labs roll, I got it.  I will say that it is at least as good as the Uniqueproductsonline glass cable, which costs all of $25...

6.  I was so impressed with Black Shadow PC, I decided to try Mark Tunis’ Silver plated copper cable/connector Black Shadow RCA cable for my analogue front end to go with his PC.  Turns out it is really great, in the same high quality - low price vein as my Nanotec 207 nanoparticle coated copper cable with rhodium connectors.

7.  Newly appreciated resolution in my analog system was making records sound bright - so I fooled around with different turntable mats I had on hand, and landed on Tonar no static Mat II that had sounded very flat before, and not in a good way, but now sounding balanced and near perfect.

Finally, plus one (or minus one) for offshore order problems in pandemic.  I ordered a power supply from Hong Long in April and they said between 44-67 days to ship.  Not here yet.  I ordered some ridiculously inexpensive “Furutech” (fake?) cable parts from Chinese vendor on AliExpress and they never came.  Canceled that order and money was returned.  I have an order pending with Chinese vendor shipping via the Netherlands.  We will see what comes of that.  Plus 1 Parts Connexxion though, they came through with their orders like a champ,  

I’m getting a hell of a laugh reading these.
The fact is: FREAKS HAVE BEEN WAITING YEARS FOR THIS!Time to listen and tweak and sit online shopping for gear.
And then DC sends us $1200?
Sure thing, I finished re-cableing my entire system. Now I get the fun of re-hearing a lot of old favorites, but finding new stuff on Qobuz is even more involving than ever.

Thank goodness DT also sent $1200 to the wife.
@geoffkait what would you recommend for 8 track tapes, besides giving them away or burying them😂 Green or blue marker?