TRL Marantz Sa-14

After speaking to Paul at TRL I am very curious to hear from those who own this unit what improvements do you hear with the player before and after the mod.

The SA-14 sounds weak in the bass and has no dynamics in comparison to some players like the Sony Scd-1 in stock form. Has anyone compared the TRL Sa-14 to the Sony Scd-1?
la45
Jack,
The player actually arrived a day before. I went to FedEX to pick it up. The box is a bit wrinkled. Upon opening the package, I first saw that Paul is very nice to included quite a few goodies such as SA/CDs and other stuff. Since I had a evening meeting to attend, I stopped at that time and shoot a quick email to Paul to confirm the arrival of the pakcage and thanked him for all goodies included. One thing missing is the Silver PC I also ordered. After coming back later, it took me a few minutes to unwrapped the nicely pakcaged player. It is heavier than I expect with a nice Gold color, then I saw the horrible sight. Facing the player, half of the left side edge is concaved in. My heart sank! Why did this happen to me! I called FedEX around 12am to establish a claim number. Hopefully, I can get FedEX to come inspecting the package before my 3-week leave on Friday. I was upset and it was late, therefore I just repackaged the player to put it back to the box.

In short, the whole burn-in schedule for my TRL9500 is shut. I really hate that when the carrier damaged my items.

Sorry guys, the feedback about the pleasure of enjoying the TRL sound will be postponed! :(

-Howard
Hchi: That's too bad. My units have always been delivered with 3 to 4 inches of bubble wrap around them. Fed Upped must have really abused your player to cause that type of damage.

Paul has told me stories of damaged amp crates from shipping abuse. His amplifier crates are made of 5/8" Birch plywood with 2 inch thick styrofoam surrounding the entire amp. The handle ends are double wall to allow carrying handles. He has had fork lift forks puncture through the 5/8" plywood and damage the amps inside. Once, they damaged the crate so badly that the shipping carrier repackaged the amp in a cardboard box with newspaper ... yeah, like that will work on a 100 pound GT-100 mono block!

Good luck with your Fed Up claim.

Deb: I prefer the TRL SA-14 over the TRL DV50S for sound. It just does everything better. The video on the DV50S is very good. If I was more "into" video, I probably would have bought a DV50S. From the sound of your posts, you seem to be more into video. This said, you should be happy with your purchase.

Lkdog: I haven't talked to the guys about their trip down to the Central Washington Audio Mafia Club meeting, although I'm sure that it was well recieved.

Soundlabs are a difficult speaker to drive. Let us know how that works out.

Jack
Hchi -
So sorry to hear of the shipping disaster. I suppose I was very lucky. Mine made it NJ with out a problem.

On the positive side. Paul is very thoughtful with his extra 'goodies' he includes in the box. :-)

I hope your claim is resolved quickly, and appropriately.

paul
Hchi, bummer dude, I too have had shippers (Fedes) break stuff, deliver it falling out of its box. Took 2 months to get it settled. It makes you want to find the idiot that that abused your stuff and, and,...
Jack, I really like my DV50, and the Marantz doesn't do video, anyway? I don't know. The 50 looks better, no?