How Do You Live The Audiophile Life

I don’t really have the credentials to be on Audiogon. Kef Q150s and new NAD equipment that replaced my stalwart Arcam Solo. Maybe I can peek over the fence.
So I’ve have a question about the new equipment. I’m browsing the forums, looking for an answer. I know as much as about audio as anyone who isn’t an audiophile. But I was astonished at the number of brands I’d never heard of. And I know the price of the stuff I have heard of.
I’m in NYC. Maybe there’s five high-end dealers here. I’m guessing that number drops off quickly once you cross the Hudson.
This is a long winded way to ask how you live the audiophile life? How do you get access to this stuff? I’d want to hear something before dropping a car-like sum on it. Do you buy blind? Do you travel? Go to the industry shows? Help me, teach me, inform me.
I guess this question applies to speakers as well. Maybe more so. But I was in the amplifier section so . . .
paul6001
Do you have to show the dealers the loafers before they will sell to you?

What is Estoril Blue?
Do you bargain? I mean, if you're spending 20K on something, you'd usually bargain. That's a car and you would certainly bargain over that price. If the sticker price of the amp is 20K, can you offer 18K? Or is that gauche beyond all imagination?
Watch this. Pay attention to the details. Down to varying the amount of silver in the solder from point to point in the component. The point is not to push Raven. The point is to drive home just how very different things have to be in order to make a product and have it compete on its own merits without mass market advertising. At the same time notice that while not cheap this level of quality is real world affordable. This is the real world. Just a different one than you're used to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcd76DZmbdY&t=300s
I’m giving up the audiophile life. 
It’s a Pirate’s life for me......