TRL Marantz Sa-14

After speaking to Paul at TRL I am very curious to hear from those who own this unit what improvements do you hear with the player before and after the mod.

The SA-14 sounds weak in the bass and has no dynamics in comparison to some players like the Sony Scd-1 in stock form. Has anyone compared the TRL Sa-14 to the Sony Scd-1?
la45

Jack,

Good observation on this potential problem. I will keep an eye on this although I find the material very sticky and easy to apply so far its staying in its place.

The isolation base and the DIY tube trap I made improved things so much that the thought of using any other players at this point is not in my mind. I feel if there is any deficiency in the system it may be what can be described as the "more" effect whereby its not anything missing just more added when upgrading to the higher priced TRL players.

Alot of folks out there are struggling to get a particular sound out of their system. I have the opinion that having expensive gear does not neccessarily translate into synergy. For some reason the TRL player makes this effort easier to accomplish.
With regard to alternate resonance control from the stock feet, where did you put the Stillpoints and how many did you use?
I'm going to experiment with isolation, but the bottom of the 2000 is not flat. I don't see exactly how one could go with three devices. Did you remove the stock feet and use 4?

Thanks for any info.
Benb: I use 3 Stillpoints sitting on top of one HRS Nimbus disc (rubber portion only). This combo has worked best in my system. I repeat, it works best in my system. When I take my player over to my friend's system, the TRL/Sony 2000 liked the Stillpoints only, which is a little too harsh in my system, thus the Nimbus underneath to tone the harshness away. Experiment in your system to find what works best for you.

Regarding the isolation device location, there is adequate space on either (inner) side of the front stock plastic feet and one towards the center in the back. It's not a perfect triangle, but don't worry, it still works fine.

La45: You said, " Alot of folks out there are struggling to get a particular sound out of their system. I have the opinion that having expensive gear does not neccessarily translate into synergy. For some reason the TRL player makes this effort easier to accomplish."

Exactly. I've had numberous expensive digital front ends in my system over the last couple of years. I had a budget sufficient to afford everything that I'd tried, yet I own a $850 (after TRL mods) Sony 2000.

Wonder why? I don't ...

Enjoy your player, La45. If it's keeping you up late at night, it's doing something right!
I just heard my friend's TRL/Marantz SA-14 again. It is really sounding good.

So good I'm re-evaluating my decision to go with the SA-11 ...
Jess45

Just think of all the MUSIC you can buy with the $$$$ you save, if you go with the 14. ;-) Your decision of course. :-) I'm sure you'll love either.

Best

Paul