Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon
The only example I have personal experience with is my Dayton SA1000 and four 10" subs. With 2 identical amps and four subs I was able to wire them for 4, 8 and 16 ohms. 8 was better than 4 but it was hard to notice. 16 was definitely better than 8. Not huge but enough there was no doubt. This however is a bit different situation as its a solid state amp with one speaker connection not a tube amp with taps for 4 and 8 ohms. Raven told me its really splitting hairs between the two amps.  

I would think the situation with the Moabs 2 woofers would be very similar to the subs and 8 would be very marginally better than 4. But its close enough its one of those situations where "what do you mean by better?" If better is louder then 4 should play just a bit louder. If better is tighter more articulate then the higher impedance has a bit of an edge. If that's all we're talking about, the main difference between Ulf and Moab is the Ulf has extra mid-bass drivers. Eric said the bass from the Moab is a bit more articulate. This is probably why. 4 ohms might add just that teensy bit of warmth there. Hard to say. 

What I guess I should ask Eric is how much of that impedance change is due to the array, and how do they sound different 4 or 8 with tubes? The tech stuff Ralph knows is all well and good but I've been around the block with tech more than enough to know it doesn't always tell the tale. Listening however almost always does. The advantage I've heard in higher impedance has been in the area of making the speaker a shade less warm and a tad more articulate. In terms of articulate, speed, etc, Tekton already are compared to stats. It may well be the last thing they need is more by way of impedance. Dunno. Interesting question. 
The tektons big weaknesses high end speakers drivers are ok 
nothing upper end , Xover very low end that is where you can 
make them much more refined and detailed the Xover is the heart 
if just ordered tell Erik you want an upgraded Xover  for tweeter he used to use Mundorf silver oil  the best resistors for sure are From
Path audio at $30 each expensive but there are only a few per speaker . I do my own Xover upgrades , he don’t tell you what’s inside is because it’s nothing there that is that good .
i asked him he tried to tell me it is proprietary ,hat may be for Xover design ,but it has Nothing to do with parts quality.i have been upgrading Xovers for 20 years ,.thats why I say offer a quality 
upgrade .
i bought a SE version before at one time Erik used to offer a upper end Xover .you should ask what type ,brand inductors,resistors,
and capacitor they use ,and wiring ,see if you get a answer.
MC, I agree with you that this covid19 is a big political hoax, mostly brought on to scare people. As for speakers, I tend to go for speakers with excellent drivers, not your typical off the shelf drivers. Back in the 70’s, I bought into the Heil Air Transformer technology. Even today, the Heil AMT technology is used in many speakers. For me right now, I prefer a diamond coated tweeter over a silk/aluminum/BE tweeter. Good luck on the new speakers.
I place much emphasis and priority on how an audio product ’sounds’, this is the bottom line as far as I’m concerned. Ralph made a strong  case why a higher impedance speaker should contribute to improved sound quality. I agree that actually listening would be the ultimate solution to confirm any advantage or not.

Perhaps with regard to the Tekton speakers it may be a relatively minor distinction between the 4 ohm versus 8 ohm speaker load. I can attest to the fact that the Tekton Double Impact and the SE version are easy to drive.
My 8 watt 300b SET amplifier drove a friend’s Double Impacts (4 ohm) with absolutely no difficulty and the sound was ’very’ good. At the time I wondered how the 8 ohm version would differ. I suspect that the Double Impacts have reasonably flat impedance curves. The Moab could be similar in that regard.
Charles
I recently turned a small bedroom into a listening room/office.  After going through a lot of gear, I decided about 6 months ago to sell everything and simplify. I wound up with a Naim Supernait 2, Naim ND5 XS streamer/dac and I ordered a pair of upgraded Electrons(in light gray.) I have had them about 2 months, so I have had some time with them.

I had not heard any Tektons, so it was tough for me to order them unheard. I have used Teajay's reviews in the past as a guide, so I was trusting him to some extent. I had purchased the MicroZOTL and Orchid based on his recommendations. It was definitely worth it, I have been very happy with them. I am still amazed many times when I play certain songs. I typically stream from Qobuz.

I still need to dial in placement and I don't have room treatments up yet, so I am sure it will only sound better in the future. I am also looking forward to hearing a review of the Moabs from MC. If at some point I move into a larger listening area,  I will get a larger pair of Tektons.