Technics or Thorens, need suggestions

I've been looking to get into Analog for quite some time now. So long that I've been collecting Vinyl with a dream of finally getting a nice TT.  Analog is an uncharted territory for me. I've been researching on my free time and have come up with a couple possibilities. 

Thorens TD 1600 
Technics 1200G

Budget is around 3-5k without a cartridge . I have Mcintosh C2600 which I intend to use for phono. 

I like the aesthetics of Thorens much more than Technics. 

My research showed that Technics is a superb TT for the price. How do these two compare? 

my systems: Mcintosh MC452/C2600/Sonus Faber Elipsa
                     mastersound 845 integrated/ diapason adamantes 3
ei001h
I made my choice in the mid-late 80s that belt drive was more to my taste.  I had a Technics SP-12 in their rubber plinth with Audio Technica's best arm and Signet TK-9Ea ML after having been used to an LP12 with KMAL arm, and I was very disappointed.  I then got into SOTA Sapphires, for a time and finally hit the end of the line with a Well Tempered Turntable and Arm.  On your budget, look at the Amadeus, GTA, or if a wood-look plinth is a must, the Versalex.  That said, the Thorens looks like a solid option in a less revolutionary, and undeniably handsome 'table.
The resale value of the Technics is doubtless true, and I imagine the Thorens will be much the same...but what better value is there than buying the last table you'll likely ever want...the first time?
Go for the Technics SL1200G. I sold mine a few months ago to upgrade for the SL-1000R. For $2500 the 1200G is an excellent deal, and you can be almost sure that you’ll never find another one at that price ever again.
I made my choice in the mid-late 80s that belt drive was more to my taste. I had a Technics SP-12

How can you compare a very old entry level  $100 Technics SP-12 to the brand new high-end $4000 Technics SL1200G with coreless motor? There is nothing similar between those two models, except for the look of the platter.

This is what i often read from a belt-drive aficionados here, you’re comparing apples to oranges

glupson
5,057 posts05-24-2020 8:25pmoldhvymec,

"I’ve used BOTH for 50 years. Mcintosh and Thoren. Thoren has some very nice units."
I read somewhere, a few years ago, about Thorens basically being a different company than 50 years ago. Not that any company is the same.

Their not, but they, have alway used a belt drive or belt, idler drive.
I have 121, 124s I and several 160s, and one Super 160. I get a notion every now and then, and build a plinth. I tinker for a month or two, then off to the next one.

My personal goto TT is Russco, I call them Garrard Killers. THEY ARE.
Sparta, QRK, Fairchild (really nice, 16" platters), and Russco.

Washing machine motors, 24/7 for 30 years. 100.00 parts, 30 more years.

They have a gear shift to change speeds, A GEAR SHIFTER..

Adjustable thrust plates on the motor, and platter..Very easy to get quiet and keep quiet.They are a broadcast TT, new parts are ava, also..

I usually keep 6-8 here, all radio station pulls. I keep one within a days que. I just pick a tone arm and mount it. Easy with wood, plastic or alu boards

THAT is a TT gals/fellas.

Thoren is a step up, if you really want to go crazy.. You can spend 20,000.00 pretty easy..
TD 550, 2001, 3001, 126, 226, 121 124, 224s (auto). the 131 134 135 are fixed tone arms, but good..
Quiet, easy, lots of options.

Micro Seika, is a great DD TT, and a much better tone arm..Few tweaks..

I have a TT project here.. 47lb alu platter with 6 pucks the machining done.. Any TT builders?
5 were made, one left, it had a flaw in a puck. (shot holder)

Regards..

Your C2600 has one of the best phono sections out there at any price point. Don't worry about that.

At your budget level, I suggest take a hard look at SOTA turntables. Their Sapphire is one of the best performers available. 100% made in USA, superior support and an unmatched value. Far superior to either Technics or Thorens from my perspective. 

It's your money so you have to make your own decisions. Have fun checking the alternatives over and let us know what you decide. Happy listening & have fun!