Who thinks $5K speaker cable really better than generic 14AWG cable?

I recently ordered high end speaker, power amp, and preamp to be installed in couple more weeks. So the next search are interconnect and speaker cable. After challenging the dealer and 3 of my so called audiophile friends, I think the only reason I would buy expensive cable is for its appearance to match with the high end gears but not for sound performance. I personally found out that $5K cable vs $10 cable are no difference, at least not to our ears. Prior to this, I was totally believe that cable makes a difference but not after this and reading few articles online.

Here is how I found out.

After the purchase of my system, I went to another dealer to ask for cable opinion (because the original dealer doesn't carry the brand I want) and once I told him my gears, he suggested me the high end expensive cable ranging from $5 - 10K pair, depending on length. He also suggested the minimum length must be 8-12ft. If longer than 12ft, I should upgrade to even more expensive series. So I challenged him that if he can show me the difference, I would purchase all 7 AQ Redwood cables from him.

It's a blind test and I would connect 3 different cables - 1 is the Audioquest Redwood, 1 is Cardas Audio Clear, and 1 my own generic 14AWG about 7ft. Same gears, same source, same song..... he started saying the first cable sound much better, wide, deep, bla...bla...bla......and second is decently good...bla...bla...bla.. and the last one sounded crappy and bla...bla...bla... BUT THE REALITY, I NEVER CHANGED THE CABLE, its the same 14AWG cable. I didn't disclosed and move on to second test. I told him I connected audioquest redwood but actually 14AWG and he started to praise the sound quality and next one I am connected the 14awg but actually is Redwood and he started to give negative comment. WOW!!!! Just blew me right off.

I did the same test with 3 of my audiophile friends and they all have difference inputs but no one really got it right. Especially the part where I use same generic 14awg cable and they all start to give different feedback!!!

SO WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK? OR I AM THE LAST PERSON TO FIND OUT THAT EXPENSIVE CABLE JUST A RIP OFF?
sautan904
There will always be folks who say ti doesn't matter, but they aren't listening to my system, I promise you that.  When I installed the new AQ Hurricane power cords in my system, I never told my wife.  Everything is hidden by plants etc, so you can't see the cords unless you look really hard.  I'll never forget her first reaction when I put on some music after about 500 hours of burn in.  She asked what I did with the system. She asked if I bought a new amp as she heard a huge difference for the better.  Her ears are very good and we go to a fair amount of live music events when we are able to, so she knows what Joe Bonamassa sounds like at Carnegie Hall etc...  This was a revelation for her and even me.  The only cord I ever installed was one that AJ Conte sent me to try.  It was his best power cord and I put it on my DAC.  It made a nice difference, but not huge.  When I heard the Dragon and Hurricanes in a very nice system, I was floored.  He made me listen to Shunyata and then Garth's new cords.  Both were outstanding, but the AQ stuff was amazing.  I was sold and am so happy I made these upgrades.  

Switching to the new William Tell zero and bass speaker cables made an even larger difference. I was already using an AQ WEL balanced interconnect from server/DAC to integrated as It was basically given to me by a friend.  

I used to own Polk 10's with their own speaker cable, so I guess I've heard a difference since 73 or so, like others who have posted.  

YMMV and if folks don't hear a difference, then that's fine, but it's rude for them to tell us what we do and don't hear.  
^^^
Did you re-plug any interconnects while changing the power cables?

What was the A/C power condition?

Did you re-plug the old ones  B E F O R E  changing. If not, then it is quite possible that better contact accounted for the delta.

Lack of Rigor = Saleman's Best Friend
ctsooner:

Wires, cables,etc. make very subtle differences (not necessarily positive) at best and if at all.  As soon as you said your wife, without cueing, said she noticed a "huge difference," I knew the rest of your post was BS.  

And now we are "burning in" power cords for three weeks.  Pray tell me the science behind that tweak?

You are hearing what you want to hear.  If you can deceive yourself and that makes you happy, good for you.  But please don't make claims you cannot substantiate that will be picked up by other naive and gullable newbees and encourage them to waste their money. 
I have yet to not hear a difference on the impact of cables in a system if and only if the system is resolving enough.

This doesn’t mean a $5K is better than a $1K cable, because it all comes down to design and synergy.

If you don’t hear a difference then that’s great you saved a lot of money.
Ha ha ha, If only I hadn’t made the mistake of making up a set of speaker cables myself, While moving, "Long ago". I had misplaced mine during the move. And after being "without" my music for a couple of weeks. "The way I like to listen to it". And since I was already going past the audio store on my way......I picked up just the basics. "IMHO". Wire, four connectors- "Banana", and that was it!
I put them together the best way that I could think of. This took me about four hours, as I am a very "detail oriented", individual.
Now, Some have, "and do", use other verbiage to describe my ways. But no one ever complains about the results. Just the wait...
Regardless, I finished them and integrated the new cables into my rig and finally fired it up. I did not expect much really. I was mainly just crossing my fingers and praying that everything still worked! And also thinking it would be quite awhile until I had everything "Up to Snuff", after the move into a new home. A house with "very", different wall and floor treatments compared to my last digs.
Imagine my surprise when I heard my rig "open up" like never before!
This with both speakers at odd angles, "I had figured, why waste my time even roughly aiming them until I could hear them".
But the difference in sound from my M.L. electrostatic speakers, just as they were? Was quite astounding to me. And I drooled at the thought of the sound after I had "dialed" my rig in!
Anyway, I did find my old cables after a bit and wondered about how they would change the sound. "They were just a generic set with 10Awg copper. From the local audio store and at a cost of "maybe", $40 back then in the late 80’s. And they were the first cables I had ever used with
"Connectors". Not just bare copper secured to the amplifier.
So I changed out the recently, "Home made" cabling for the much nicer looking, store-bought pair and guess what? It sounded like it had in the old house! "Compressed", But I hadn’t thought so the last time I had heard my rig with the "store-bought" cabling!
I ended up taking one apart, and found 10Awg, "Monster" copper cable inside the cover. and it was all green or black. "Mainly black". But after playing with it a bit I found that indeed, there was still some shiny copper there. but cutting back until the oxidation had not infested the alloy proved fruitless. It was ALL green/black! The entire length! "Except for a couple of places, 1’-18" long", had been corrupted!
After that, I never have purchased any other speaker cabling already made-up. And along the way I made many improvements. I have tried others cables. "Many other". But now? It has now been years since I have tried speaker cables made by another and found them to be "better", in "any" way. Some sound pretty good. But none better.
And this is, of course, just-"IMHO".....
And I was indeed "Until this", one whom called ALL so-called, "Hi-End Cabling"-
"Snake oil"!
Can I prove it? Can I prove one cable sounds different from another?
Yes. I have the instruments and the experience now. I could take "screen-shots" of this and other findings and then post them here and there. Would you believe the data if I did? I think not.
But I have never had a reason to post like that.
I make them still but not for me.
"My sets are Perfect! For ME!" So I have just stopped for my needs. BUT TRY OTHERS STILL!
I make them for friends and a few acquaintances mainly. And I give them away. Always. For just a promise of an honest appraisal. And this over time. And for some I keep making different sets. Trying to "Dial them in" for a specific rig and/or someone’s like/dislikes. One of the questions I always ask is;
"If you had to pay for these? What would you say would be a fair price for them?
"They", tell me many different things. But "they" are all different as well. Different incomes, regions of the country and also world. And also different experiences with cabling. Those whom never really thought to spend a large sum on speaker cabling seem to top out at "about", $200 usually. For whatever reason. Those with allot of experience with cabling and also whom spend sometimes "quite", "Prodigious" sums of money for a set offer an altogether different set answers. "
And these are the fellows that for some reason begin to look and sound nervous when we talk of my cabling,........"Like maybe I’m fishing for some loot"!? Ha ha ha,
But I always assure everyone from the very beginning that the cables are theirs to do with as they will. Free of charge. Always, right from the beginning.
It’s the only way to ALWAYS get an honest and constructive answer!
So, This group seems to give me an "mean average", price range that, "They say", they would be comfortable paying. This, "on the low side of the minimum range being roughly", $1,200
With the avg. max of about, $1,850. And of course, a few oddball answers like,- "At $100,000 they would be a bargain"!
No, I am not kidding actually! But then,"That particular fellow", swaps his main rig’s speakers out more often than the president currently plays golf!
And to be honest, more than a few of these guy’s, "have" offered to pay the amount they told me. One even sent me a check which I burned.

My point?
IF, this wasn’t real. IF this was all just in, "My head".
Why then do I get the thorough critiques and offers of payment. And what they tell me is usually spot on from "my" thoughts on the cabling I send them. "Most are living well away from my domicile so I ship them".
So if this subject was, "Snake Oil"?
I would know by now.
If it was, "All in my head"?
I would have been made "WELL Aware" of that also by now!
So do yourself a favor, and quit saying that indeed this is, "Snake Oil".
But don’t give up. Because there is a very worthwhile and valuable, "intangible", available to you that, "we" keep trying to expose you to.
I could give you several reasons why you have not either heard any difference at all. Or, a difference being of some "minutiae". And therefore not really of any moment. Especially after reading all the posts here stating otherwise. But I am sure you have heard them already.
One or more of them, just has to be in effect.
Maybe look into it?
Because to me? The cabling I use now that I made? A bargain at.....
$1,500!!!??!!
Why would I, "As I did", stop, and write this looong missive if it were not true?
This is one of my ways in which I endeavor to further this, "my hobby".
And help others in this hobby to maybe broaden their horizons.
No more, No less, and Always!
And just to tell you- The cost to build my cables "Just materials", costs roughly $300-$450 currently. Six feet in length is about the avg. length. And I will not make them more than nine feet in length. "Move the gear if needed".
AND, It takes about 36 hours of work. To complete one set.
"Really! (36 hours). At the Minimum! With all, - breaks, phone calls and other time related issues fully accounted for".