Owners of Cary 308,308T, Arcam FMJ 33 or Ayre CX-7

If anyone is interested, my current rig and description of it's contents can be seen in the "budget minded" of virtual systems under Yarvis' Rig. I am looking to hear from the owners of the aforementioned CD players. I am looking to upgrade from a modified Music Hall CD-25 (bought from Underwood HiFi) and would greatly appreciate owners comments good and bad concerning their expereinces. Budget will be an issue and I think I might want to go new on this purchase. (but that is always negotiable) What do you think of THESE players and how do they sound? I hope to hear from many of you!
128x128yarvis
Yarvis-
Don't know your price range, but you really should check out the TRL 595.
Truly a fine digital source at any price.
Yarvis,

If you want to use the built-in variable volume control of a CD player, you should check out the Quad 99 CDP (current version, not the old Quad 99). I previously owned the Cary CD-308 and it was a good player. It is pretty neutral as described above, however I find the Quad more engaging. The Quad 99 CDP and the Cary CD-308 are the same price new but the Quad is a bit more expensive used.

The Quad also has the benefit on having 6 digital inputs so you can use the Quad as a DAC for a DVD player or other digital source that outputs PCM.

I liked the Cary CD-308 when I owned it and preferred it (very slightly) to the Theta Miles (balanced version) that I also owned at that time. I just like the Quad better. It seems more musical to me.

Enjoy,

TIC
Lkdog:
Can you give me anymore info on the TRL 595? A website, price?

Reubent:
I read up on the Quad, but not sure if this piece will suit me. I don't think I need all of the digital inputs and not even sure what this pieces built in variable volume control is or does.
Yarvis-

The Tube Research Labs website is here:

http://www.tuberesearchlabs.com/index.htm

I believe they charge $550 plus shipping for their mod of most players. You supply the unit. They do a lot of Sony's. They will source the unit for the Sony 595 which they are doing a bunch of right now and they are buying 10-30 a week of those.

I know they also do mods on other units besides Sony units such as Esoteric, Marantz,Denon, and other already modded units that people are not happy with, etc.

Paul would have to quote you on specific units, but again I think most units are $550.

Yes, it is cheap. If that bothers you, then there are plenty of other options that will take more of your money-like 10 times that amount.

The sound? The best digital I have ever heard. Think of the best analog turntable setup you have heard and you get the idea. Many would agree and they are dumping their other modded units for the unassuming TRL Sony 595.

Since I have not heard as many units as some people, you may wish to look at this review from 6 Moons on the TRL mod of the Sony 775.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/stephstuffers/stuffers.html
The 595 mod is much better according to all who have heard both. The same reviewer is doing another review on the TRL 595 this month in 6 Moons. He apparently is quite impressed.

There is a thread below about the TRL which turned into a troll thread, but there is other info in it that may be of interest.

Good luck in your search.
Feel free to email me offline if you wish.
Regards.
If you are going used you won't be able to beat the Arcam FMJ 23. I've had the 23,and 33 and believe that the 23 gives up very little ground to the 33. Dynamics are great, soundstage is wide & deep and the vocals on it are amazing. I am currently using the Ayre CX-7 and would not swap back for either or the Arcam's, but I am also using an Ayre amp & pre-amp so I am probably getting some synergies, (balanced connection for one) that were not avaiable with the Arcam. I have not heard the Cary. At the end of the day I don't think one can make a "wrong" decision when choosing between players of this caliber, but given budget considerations you can get an awesome CD player and save $400 to $800 by going with the Arcam FMJ 23. I have not had a chance to hear any of the Cary line. Happy Hunting!