What do you think causes the crackle and clicks we hear?

I think pops are easier to understand but clicks and crackle noises, what causes this?
scar972
@mijostyn

If I could post photos I would, I have over 300 JPG files of groove images and all show carbonate in the bottom of the groove. so not sure what grooves you have looked at.
All I am doing is trying to remove some of the mystery behind LP cleaning and show more that getting clean LPs requires a bit of work if you are using VAC or US type cleaners, and can be done.
Have not tried the sink wash type cleaners so can't offer any insight on them.

If anyone wants to do a simple test, its quite easy. can be done on a vac machine (VPI or NG). use your favorite cleaning solution, apply it to LP. spread evenly across the LP surface.  Let is sit for 10-15 min then vacuum off.
Go play the LP. you will notice a much quieter background.

use your favorite cleaning solution, apply it to LP. spread evenly across the LP surface. Let is sit for 10-15 min then vacuum off.
@johnss   That sounds simple enough, I'll give a try shot.

Some of my favourite second hand records have noticeable surface noise even after cleaning. My 'solution' is simply to play them 'wet'. I find wiping the record with a very thin layer of record cleaning fluid or just plain water and then playing it makes otherwise noisy records, quiet and enjoyable. I've read from various 'prophets of doom' that my stylus will fall off! my records will be ruined, my hair will fall out (well that bits true). My Ikeda 'Kai' plays too near the record surface for comfort but my, bought for trying out charity shop finds, Denon DL 103 plays wet records no problem and sounds amazing to boot!

These clicks, etc. are caused by a good stylus that tracks the imperfections, or a bad one that does not .
I use a Talisman to mitigate static and a good US cleaning to eliminate dust and dirt. I have silent playback from vinyl! Some of the older records have surface scratches from rough handling 50 years ago and of course a few dings here and there.