What do you think causes the crackle and clicks we hear?

I think pops are easier to understand but clicks and crackle noises, what causes this?
128x128scar972

Some of my favourite second hand records have noticeable surface noise even after cleaning. My 'solution' is simply to play them 'wet'. I find wiping the record with a very thin layer of record cleaning fluid or just plain water and then playing it makes otherwise noisy records, quiet and enjoyable. I've read from various 'prophets of doom' that my stylus will fall off! my records will be ruined, my hair will fall out (well that bits true). My Ikeda 'Kai' plays too near the record surface for comfort but my, bought for trying out charity shop finds, Denon DL 103 plays wet records no problem and sounds amazing to boot!

These clicks, etc. are caused by a good stylus that tracks the imperfections, or a bad one that does not .
I use a Talisman to mitigate static and a good US cleaning to eliminate dust and dirt. I have silent playback from vinyl! Some of the older records have surface scratches from rough handling 50 years ago and of course a few dings here and there.
The Talisman eliminates magnetic fields, not static electric charges, as fate would have it. Chalk that one up to that’s the way it goes sometimes.
@johnss 
Last night I gave my noisy crackle 180 gram a really good cleaning, and whaddya know the crackling went away! I also noticed most of the static was removed from the record which was what I thought causes the crackling. I'll test out more records in the coming days.