Getting the most out of streamed video: Netflix and Plex (with NVIDIA Shield Pro?)

For those of you running audiophile grade surround sound setups, I'm wondering what your approach is to achieving HQ results from either
  • Netflix, which will naturally be compressed, lossy 
  • or Plex, which streams local network media.  Depending on your source can be blu-ray equivalent.
For example, when using a smart TV to stream both of these you have 2 choices for connecting audio to your A/V processor:
  1. HDMI ARC (audio return channel) with limited audio bandwidth support
  2. Optical with even less audio bandwidth support.
The verdict:  Smart TV streaming = bad

The solution: Use an external box to stream the services, which has full HDMI output to A/V processor.  Then A/V processor distributes to rest of your system.

Have any of you found a suitable box to stream Plex/Netflix in this way?  

On the short list is NVIDIA Shield Pro.  Although skeptical due to tiny form factor.  comments?

irave
I take it you don't or have never used a Nvidia Shield especially the 2019 version? I'm as picky as they come and its got a place in my setup for streaming why? its simply one of the best at what it does.http://https//www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/3096760-new-nvidia-shield-tv-pro-announced-faster-soc-dolby-vision-new-remote.html
Shield Pro is no doubt ahead in regards to feature set.  For example, it has Dolby Vision where the other premium choices don't.

Both the Zidoo and Shield are android based, so I'm assuming the Netflix/Plex experience would be very similar.  

I see advantages for the Zidoo for the high end power supply and other parts.  In the end, not sure how much better this will make the Zidoo sound ?  

Zidoo is apparently heavily geared towards playback using its internal storage.  Is there any benefit to using internal storage vs streaming from another PC on the network (via DLNA/Plex) ?  Seems to me this may be just another step - copying stuff to the box.
Ok, great topic and timely for me.  I am building a theater room as we speak and will stream everything from Netflix, Showtime, HBO, Amazon Prime.  I will have a 4K projector either JVC 9 series or Sony.  I am Apple based.  What are the suggestions for the best audio and video output?  I have been using Firestick.  
Zidoo is apparently heavily geared towards playback using its internal storage. Is there any benefit to using internal storage vs streaming from another PC on the network (via DLNA/Plex) ? Seems to me this may be just another step - copying stuff to the box.
The Netflix and Amazon apps allow you to download movies/shows to your local harddrive.  This allows you to watch the content without having to stream from the internet on the fly.  Other streaming services may have similar options.  You can probably download content from services such as HBO/Showtime/etc.  And, like you indicated, you can always copy your own content files to the media player drive if you want.

I kind of leaned towards Zidoo.  Looking at things now, the Zidoo and Dune top models also include analog outputs.  If you are just connecting to a processor using HDMI, you don't need these analog outputs.  The Zappitti Pro 4K HDR top level doesn't have analog outputs, so you're not wasting circuits/money.  Zappiti does have an "Audiocom" version of the top level which is even a step above, but I doni't see it available in the US.

As far as which is the best, it's hard to say.  All 3 are Android OS based.  All 3 have bugs and problems reported by users.  When I was researching, it seemed that Zidoo was more responsive to bugs and has a larger community forum for posts/threads.  I'm sure all 3 would be a good choice.
I have read that some of the newer Zidoo players support HDR and Dolby Vision, but Dolby Vision is not listed directly on the website.  You may want to email them to make sure.

As far as I can tell, Dune and Zappiti do not have Dolby Vision yet.  These are somewhat small companies (not like Marantz/Denon which have a team of 80+ engineers).  New technology updates are always a challenge to keep up with.  But you should ask yourself the question as to what's more important?  New features and functionality?  Or overall audio/video quality.  A lot of content from Netflix/Hulu/etc. is not going to be in HDR or Dolby Vision anyways.