Getting the most out of streamed video: Netflix and Plex (with NVIDIA Shield Pro?)

For those of you running audiophile grade surround sound setups, I'm wondering what your approach is to achieving HQ results from either
  • Netflix, which will naturally be compressed, lossy 
  • or Plex, which streams local network media.  Depending on your source can be blu-ray equivalent.
For example, when using a smart TV to stream both of these you have 2 choices for connecting audio to your A/V processor:
  1. HDMI ARC (audio return channel) with limited audio bandwidth support
  2. Optical with even less audio bandwidth support.
The verdict:  Smart TV streaming = bad

The solution: Use an external box to stream the services, which has full HDMI output to A/V processor.  Then A/V processor distributes to rest of your system.

Have any of you found a suitable box to stream Plex/Netflix in this way?  

On the short list is NVIDIA Shield Pro.  Although skeptical due to tiny form factor.  comments?

irave
@irave - I don't think there's anything that can do everything in one box and also be the best quality.  Zidoo cannot play bluray discs directly.  You can use computer software to rip blurays into an .ISO file or some sort of movie file, then store it on the Zidoo for playback, but this is a complicated and time consuming hassle.  It's just much better to have an actual bluray player for playing physical disks.  Then use your media player for streaming and everything else (unless you also have a satellite receiver).

The Plex media server is available as Android software on google play, so you can load this onto the Zidoo as well if you want. There is literally a ton of different apps available on googleplay.  Zidoo runs on Android OS, so anything Android is compatible.

@lalitk - I have the Amazon FireCube.  Actually, it is not too bad for audio and video quality.  Audio quality is not the best, however.  I have done a side-by-side comparison between stock Firecube and a Tivo unit with a Teradak linear power supply - for streaming Netflix. The Tivo with linear power supply just beat the crap out of FireTV for Netflix streaming in both audio and video quality.  FireTV audio was bright/thin and a bit harsh in comparison.  This is feeding both audio and video through HDMI to a receiver.  There's no substitute for linear power supply and good digital circuits.  They say AppleTV has somewhat better audio than Amazon FireTV.  You can always upgrade to a linear power supply for your AppleTV.

Zidoo, Zappiti and Dune all make high end media player units.  Their top of the line models all have linear power supplies.  If you don't need analog audio outputs, it seems the Zapiiti Pro 4K only has digital outputs (HDMI, coax, toslink).  You guys can always buy one of the lower models and then add a Teradak or SBooster linear power supply for a big improvement, but it's much easier to have the linear power supply built into the same unit, lol.
Comments on the Nvidia Shield Pro.  This is on the same level as the Roku and FireTV stuff, but includes some additional gaming functions (what else would you expect from Nvidia, lol).  Not a bad thing, but you get what you pay for.  Googling around, it appears that this unit requires 19V 2.1A power supply and has a proprietary power connector, which makes it very difficult or impossible to upgrade to a linear power supply.  The Nvidia is great for the common consumer that wants this type of movie / streaming / gaming functionality, but I would avoid this for people who are nitpicky or want the absolute best audio/video quality.
I take it you don't or have never used a Nvidia Shield especially the 2019 version? I'm as picky as they come and its got a place in my setup for streaming why? its simply one of the best at what it does.http://https//www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/3096760-new-nvidia-shield-tv-pro-announced-faster-soc-dolby-vision-new-remote.html
Shield Pro is no doubt ahead in regards to feature set.  For example, it has Dolby Vision where the other premium choices don't.

Both the Zidoo and Shield are android based, so I'm assuming the Netflix/Plex experience would be very similar.  

I see advantages for the Zidoo for the high end power supply and other parts.  In the end, not sure how much better this will make the Zidoo sound ?  

Zidoo is apparently heavily geared towards playback using its internal storage.  Is there any benefit to using internal storage vs streaming from another PC on the network (via DLNA/Plex) ?  Seems to me this may be just another step - copying stuff to the box.
Ok, great topic and timely for me.  I am building a theater room as we speak and will stream everything from Netflix, Showtime, HBO, Amazon Prime.  I will have a 4K projector either JVC 9 series or Sony.  I am Apple based.  What are the suggestions for the best audio and video output?  I have been using Firestick.