Do we ask too much of our audio systems?

In high school, I taught myself to play guitar and later started playing in rock bands for about 10 years. I used a low powered mono tube record player in my bedroom to study Clapton, BB  King, Page, Hendrix, Beck and all guitar heros of the time and learn how to play. In those years, I never bothered to upgrade my system, mostly because nothing seemed to be able to replay what I experienced playing live in a band, with a Les Paul in hand and a screaming tube guitar amp. As the years went by I built half dozen speakers and had a decent Pioneer front end, using a Philips TT. My system sounded better, but never equalled the emotion and involvement of playing live. So, I guess I grew into Audiophilia thinking nothing is as good as live music. Now I have heard some very good systems and speakers, but still wonder..."am I chasing something un-attainable?" Do we ask too much from our audio systems?
dtapo
Having a “system” sound “live” will never happen. It’s more a trek to get the most out of the given recording, whatever the source. No matter the system, it will only produce what information it is given. Good or bad...
"don't leave out Earl (the 4th King of the Blues Guitar). "

onhwy61-
YES! I have a great CD compilation  of Earl.
Now that's some unobtanium wax I'd love to find in the bins!

We all could use more...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=57&v=LmXWbJexqgI&feature=emb_logo

Large scale orchestra is probably the litmus test for any setup/room.
I have some VERY good pressings of things. Even the $100K+ rigs in a good room fail at producing that "presence" you experience when attending a  performance. Some do a reasonable