Tube Preamp with Solid State Amp?

Greetings!

I’ve seen some folks using Tube Preamps with Solid State Am ps. I’m thinking of doing that with my system as part of an incremental change. I currently have a Parasound P5 preamp with a Parasound A21 driving Klipsch Cornwall 4’s. Will a decent / good Tube Preamp really make a difference in my sound? I enjoy what I have now but really want to experience Tubes in my system. Thanks!
128x128bigjohn9095
I’m doing it because I am a bass head. (BHK Pre-First Watt J2)I find the low end has more punch and slam with a SS amp. Adding a tube pre adds a touch of silk to the mids and highs.

One thing to consider (I have Zu Omen defs 101 db), is if you have too much gain in your system, tube hiss and noise will be much more prominent with super efficient speakers. My total gain (pre and amp) is around 33 db (using balanced connections). I did have a high gain amp (StA200) that made my total gain around 43db (single ended) and it was hiss city. I had to place a passive volume control between the pre and amp.

I thought some Parasound amps have gain control which would be quite helpful if experimenting with a tube pre.

One thing you may want to consider is a tube buffer. I’m not certain if a buffer would help or just be a noise maker. I’m sure many here on AG will have experience. Decware makes one  https://www.decware.com/newsite/zbox.htm

A good tube preamp along with a solid-state amp can give you the best of both worlds. Of course, your mileage may vary depending upon your preferences. You really have to try it and decide for yourself. My main listening room is set up with a solid-state amp and a tubed preamp however in another room I have all tubed components. To me, they all sound good, just a bit different.
My experience is that some pre/power amplifiers will give you the sound you want and others will not, and it doesn't really matter too much whether the gear is tubed or solid state.  However, you really need to like the sound of your speakers or you will end up chasing rabbits down holes.  If you really want to experience tubes, IMO you should get a decent tube amplifier.  At  102dB @ 2.83V / 1m your Cornwall 4's should sound good at even low'ish to modest power levels and there are many tube amplifier choices that shouldn't break the bank.  
Having danced the dance for decades between all tube and all SS, I have yet to find a reasonably priced tube pre that didn’t go too far in the ’silky’ sonic range.

Real music has a sharp leading edge with certain instruments, which most tube components tend to smooth over. But in the process, the sound stage and floor gets noisier, which diminishes imaging and micro-details. Many dacs are equally guilty of this

I owned the P5 which is a decent pre, but I ran mine via the XLRs, not quite differential but close. I replaced it with a Audio Alchemy DPA-1 + PS 5 outboard power supply and built in dac. If you can find the combination it is a significant upgrade, plus it has 4 choices to tailor the dac to your system and ears

hth