Duelund conversion to DIY Helix Geometry Cabling

I have been an avid user of the Duelund cabling for over two years now and have used them exclusively in my system with great results. I have built many for friends and have used a full loom of interconnects, speaker cables, power cords and an extensive wiring modification for a previously owned balanced power conditioner utilizing Duelund 600V PolyCast wiring which was transformative. My cabling desires can be a little addictive as I have owned and evaluated 40+ brands of cabling costing more than an entire stereo system!

Over the past six months I stumbled upon a thread here on Audiogon in regards to a Helix designed cabling and as you probably already know, I just had to look a little deeper into this cable design…After a month of studying and sourcing parts, I decided to reach out to the designer/architect, Williewonka who gave more insights and philosophy on how the cable came into existence.

That conversation got the ball rolling in converting one of my KLE Duelund interconnects to Steve’s Helix designed which only entailed replacing the neutral with a Mil-Spec 16 AWG silver-plated copper wire with the neural wire being 3 times longer than the signal wire and of course the “Coiling” of the neutral wire : )

After the modification was complete, I was not sure what to expect from the Helix cabling but I was quite shocked with the results with “ZERO” burn-in time…The sound stage became much wider/deeper with a much tighter/focused image and clarity/transparency is like nothing I have ever heard in any cabling regardless of cost. In fact, I just sold a full loom of a commercially designed Helix Cable that’s renowned around the world and has more direct sale than any cable manufacturer; these $200 DIY Helix Cables walked all over them…

I believe you will hear the same results as I have and have heard back from friends who have already modified their Duelunds with the same results; WOW! Remember the cables will need 200+ hours to burn-in and settle into your system. My system is now 90% DIY Helix to include IC, SC, PC and Coax with each cabling adding its beauty of an organic and natural presentation that draws you into the fabric of the music.

You can tailor the sound of your cables using Duelund, Mundorf silver/1% gold, the outstanding Vh Audio OCC Solid Copper or Silver with Airlok Insulation or your favorite wiring and you can change it at any time…

http://www.image99.net/blog/files/category-diy-cables.html

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/difference-in-sound-between-copper-and-silver-digital-cables

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/adding-shielding-to-existing-cables

Enjoy,

Wig

128x128wig
I really like the Helix IC cables and the author is a great guy. His site is very well done also. I slightly prefer the Duelund 16ga built into a double IC in one. Two 16ga +/- runs in a special geometry. I found it more to my personal liking in terms of body, midrange presence, ease and musicality. Just my subjective preference and others may like the Helix recipe with conductors of their choice

Bottom line is a somewhat skilled DIYer can make cables as good or better than those selling for up to many thousands with some of these proven builds.

I need to try the Helix on a power cord as I have yet to do that.
Everyone - many thanks for your support. Glad to hear you are enjoying the benefits of the Helix Geometry cables.

Nice to hear people are trying their own variants on the basic Helix geometry as posted on the web site, because there are simply far too many permutations for this guy to try.

The parts and wires listed on the site are my own preferences based on performance, cost, and availability. As such they may not be the absolute best products available, but they do perform to a very high level for what I consider to be a "reasonable cost". But I do leave it up to the individual to take the Helix design to their "comfort level" - and feedback is always very much appreciated.

As I find out about other products from other DIYer’s, I update the site accordingly.

Over the past year there has been a couple of revisions to the entire lineup. So visiting the site a couple of times a year for any developments may be beneficial.

There will be an upcoming revision posted on the site in about 3-4 weeks detailing changes to the signal wire on the Speaker Cables thanks to Wig.

@wig has tried the 18 gauge solid copper wire from VH Audio for the signal wires on his speaker cables and reported very audible improvements over the Duelund Cotton/Oil wire, so I am just waiting on the postal service to deliver my order of the wire before I try it out for myself. but Wig’s comments sound very positive and from what I have observed of this wire in the power cables, it should be a winner!

FYI: The Helix design (as posted on the web site), is used by DIYers from around the world and so far I have seen postings from around the world including China, Chile, Hong Kong, Russia, Australia, Canada, USA, Bulgaria, Austria and the list goes on.

And a few DIYers have made significant contributions to the site with their own extensions to the Helix Geometry e.g. "The Bad Ass Helix Bi-wire" speaker cable and the XLR Helix Image interconnect.

@grannyring - FYI - the parts/materials listed for the power cables on the web site are the best I have tried to date. The Source Component cable is exceptional, but for amps, using 4 strands of the silver wire would start getting a little expensive, which is why I used copper, but the choice is yours.

For those of you that may be sitting on the fence, or for those of you that believe my reasonings as to why the Helix geometry provides such great performance is just "nonsense" - I would just say - try them :-)

- You do not have to use the wires and connectors shown on my web site.
- I started a lot of this development using CAT6 for interconnects
- and Romex for power cables.

Anyhow - enough from me - thanks to everyone that has jumped on the Helix train. It will stop at any station so you can get onboard anytime

Any questions - just ask :-)

Grannyring,

You mentioned you have a website.  I tried googleing Acoustic BBQ to find it and did not find it.  Please post your website. I'm interested in PC's Interconnects and Speaker wires.  Thanks.