Why no interest in reel to reel if you're looking for the ultimate sound?

Wondering why more people aren't into reel to reel if they're looking for the ultimate analog experience? I know title selection is limited and tapes are really expensive, but there are more good tapes available now than ever before.
People refer to a recording as having "master tape quality",  well you can actually hear that master tape sound through your own system and the point of entry to reel to reel is so much more affordable than getting into vinyl.  Thoughts? 
scar972
topoxforddoc,

"I can testify to that, having archived many 15IPS master tapes in my collection in a straight zero level transfer with a professional Prism Sound A2D converter. The digital file sounds pretty much indistinguishable."

Wow, is digital really that close to capturing original studio sound quality? Can you do level transfers for those tapes that were intended for vinyl?

Do you think this would also be the case for 30IPS recordings? A lot of questions I know, but the closest I ever got to play with something like a Studer was to walk past one parked outside the studio where I did some voluntary work.

"The problem is that many modern digital files are not just transferred, but remastered from the tape, and are often made worse. This is particularly true if compression is added after the transfer to make the sound "better" on a phone, rather than on an audio system."

Yes, and it’s these remastering alterations that usually cause the headaches for some of us audiophiles.

There seem to be an awful lot of problems preventing what was recorded (on tape destined for vinyl) to make its way to digital with the same end result. In a perfect world a CD/download would be (could be?) an identical copy of the original vinyl release without any of its issues.

Yet this seems to be beyond the efforts (or most likely wishes = $$) of all those involved.

A good case in point, amongst far too many to mention, has been the failure to deliver a copy of the classic The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society album that would make us forget all previous releases.

Or maybe I’m getting all this remastering business confused by assuming it’s intended for those in pursuit of a better sound.

Obviously, despite what they may suggest, it isn’t is it?
@cd318
1) Yes, a high quality digital transfer of a 15 ips tape is pretty much the same as the tape original. Prism Sound have had a good reputation for their A2D converters, and they sound very natural with plenty of air.
2) Most distribution masters sent to pressing plants across the world were flat zero level copies without any vinyl EQ. EQ was applied by the local mastering engineer, when the local lacquer was cut for that domestic market.
3) The music industry is now more focused on people listening on their phones. High quality audio listening is the preserve of the few now.
4) A 30 IPS 1/2 inch tape is even better, but they are few and far between.
Charlie
@topoxforddoc 
Yeah, I thought long and hard before passing that Sony up. I'm good with my Ampex ATR-102 and two Studers. There's some work I need to put into the rest of my equipment and have them all working at an optimal level is my focus.
For me it is another very expensive rabbit hole.  If you have the cash and inclination, so be it.  Most that I have encountered chasing this Nirvana reserve bragging rights and usually that's all they want to talk about.  I've heard a few mega expensive setups at audio shows and I just came to the conclusion that it's just not practical for those who aren't well heeled or willing to spend that much to receive the diminished return.  FWIW.
Dear @orpheus10  : ""  while SS makes a facsimile of the signal..""

exactly as tubes or any reproduction medium.

Btw, first than all I'm a music lover and the hardware is a necessity for we can reproduce the software at home and I always try to optimize that hardware to achieve the best I can through my room/system in order to put the MUSIC enjoyment as high is posible. Tha's all.

R.