mbl 101e vs 116f vs 111f

could someone describe the difference in these speakers? is the 101e worth the extra money? i see a 116f for 16k and 101e for 40k on audiogon right now

how well would mcintosh components work with these speakers compared to mbl? or does anyone have other suggestions for a cd/dvd transport, preamp, and amp? it'll be for a 2.0 living room setup for music/movies

thanks
mrkoven
all three speakers share the identical tweeter/supertweeter radiater unit on the top...the 101'e has the 'football' radial unit in the middle; above the woofer units...the 111 and the 116 have traditional speakers; side firing for midbase..the 116 has a single port on the bottom; and has less base and low frequency response...the new 'f' series has new crossovers and cosmetic design from the earlier 'e' version; and is supposed to play better at lower listening levels.
The earlier posts are all correct in their responses on the need for high quality; high current amplication...I have my 111'e about 6' out from rear wall; and am happy with the sound..which tends to be a bit 'dark', or cool, not a warm, syrupy sound..but great sound stage and transients...hope that helps answer your questions...
I've only heard the earlier versions of both speakers, but I did have the chance to A-B those speakers pretty extensively and on more than one occassion. (I was considering a purchase a few years back, until I realized that a divorce costs even more than 101s.)

My take is that the 101 is a very different animal than it's its less insanely priced brethren. The football/pumpkin Mribib mentions made - to my ear - the 101s much more striking in the "omni-ness" of the presentation, as well as more impressively weighty and seamless in their presentation. OTOH, deep bass was always elevated on the 101s and less natural that the smaller guys. My net take: the 101 is a much more dramatic sounding speaker.

Some could argue that that is too much of a good thing. I happen to love the 101
I had heard the 111F in RMAF in 2009 and was so impressed with its sound from normal CDs like Bill Joel's Stranger they were playing, I had to return three times. Then few months later, I visited MBL room at the CES with 101E MkIIs playing, and it was nothing special... I had to attribute the less than ideal sound to the room. However, if I were to pull the trigger on a pair of MBLs, I'll have to believe the 101E MkIIs are better properly setup in an good room and will be my choice.

The other memorable room was Nordost cable room with their Raidho Ayra C1.0s at the '09 RMAF and same set up at the '10 CES with equally impressive sound stage and one of the best imaging 2 CH trick I had ever heard...
The MBL 101 series is reported by many to be a tough speaker to drive. I have not heard of this "issue" with the other mentioned MBL speakers. I suggest you search threads here on A'gon to learn about these speakers and pros/cons by real users and those who have tried many amps.

Rather than read a bunch of worthless posts on suggestions of one's favorite "powerful" amps and the flavor-of-the-month ARC preamp, I suggest you read this as a good start.
thanks for the responses

111f is looking good right now

thoughts on mcintosh components w/ the 111f? MC501's + C50?