Why no interest in reel to reel if you're looking for the ultimate sound?

Wondering why more people aren't into reel to reel if they're looking for the ultimate analog experience? I know title selection is limited and tapes are really expensive, but there are more good tapes available now than ever before.
People refer to a recording as having "master tape quality",  well you can actually hear that master tape sound through your own system and the point of entry to reel to reel is so much more affordable than getting into vinyl.  Thoughts? 
scar972
@sdrsdrsdr 

Every vintage preamp I ever used had tape input RCA pairs. These RCA pairs were not connected to an internal a head amp, but were line level inputs. The purpose of labelling these line level RCA pairs seems to have been to correspond to the notations on the selector.

A head amp has a similar function to the phono section, (that is, it has to amplify and shape a tiny signal). As such, it is a highly specialized piece, but one which was never close to as common as phono.  That is why it was usually part of the tape deck.
@terry9 

I have read that this is a tape pre head amp input  and not just a labelled line input. It is also labeled tape head and not tape input. It is also positioned along with the mm input. I think the Marantz 7 preamp might have this too. Watch the “PNWAS  tape meeting with Ki Choi” on YouTube. He talks of this. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TY6V5AahDU0

This guy probably knows as much as anyone about reel to reel.

Check out YouTube “Garrard 301 vs Studer”. Best audio quality of any YouTube I have heard. As good as the 301 sounds when the Studer comes on you don’t want it to leave! But, for sure, tape is a rich man’s game. But it sure is amazing!
You guys crack me up. Sure, RTR sounds great, when it does. But what does it take to get there? Lots of work, parts and mostly $$$. It's like golf - it's supposed to be fun. Until the day you realize that you will probably never get to your performance goal.

I spent years installing and later selling RTR decks to studios and rich celebs. IMO RTR is just waaaay too much work for the average audiophile, to set up but more to maintain And pro/semi pro RTR decks require a lot of routine maintenance. And no one has mentioned yet thew air filtration system you will want for whatever room your RTR is located. Dust/dirt/pet hair are sure fire killers of tape decks.

Just a casual survey: how many of you that want to own RTR decks do or would own a preamp withour a remote control? Just curious...