More Power or use subwoofer to boost bass for music

Hi,   just want to know if anyone can offer their opinions on how to boost the bass when listening to 2 channel music.

I just got a pair of B&W 804 D3 and would like to get more bass out of the speakers.   I remember the bass was pretty punchy when I heard it in the dealer showroom, but I don't seem to get that in my setup.   I currently have Parasound A31 power amp with 250 watts per channel.

So the question is whether I should get a more power amp, or add subwoofer to my 2 channel music.  I'm a little bit of a purist and would prefer not to use a subwoofer for music, but I'm open to this option.

I would definitely appreciate if anyone can share their experience/opinion.   Thanks very much.
128x128xcool
Hello xcool,
     Does “xcool” mean you were cool previously but not currently, or does it mean you’re multiples of cool?

One option to significantly reduce bass vibrations reaching the floor below is to place the subs on a slab of a solid material that will reflect the vibration-inducing deep bass sound waves rather than vibrating itself and transferring the vibration to the floor below.  I know slabs of granite are good to use and remnant pieces at reduced prices are often available from local retail stone vendors.       The bass sound waves launched from the passive bass driver, which are typically used just to vent excess air pressure from inside the sub ‘s cabinet, strike the very hard surface of the granite and are redirected out into the room through the spaces between the bottom of the sub and the surface of the granite.
     I believe Subdude platforms do the same thing, but I’ve never used them, so I’m not certain.

Tim 

Guys!, his amps aren't up to it in the bass with that kind of load, sure they're 250w at 8ohm, but they start s*****g themselves even into 4ohms let alone 2ohms!! which is the kind of load the 804 d3's give in the bass.
  • 232.8W @ 8 ohms, 
  • 352.0W @ 4 ohms
  • Look at the Stereophile 804 review, the reviewer used the same amps and complained also about the bass also.

• Cheers George 
    Xcool wrote: "Later that evening the building manager sent out an email to all residents that he received a complaint from some residents that they hear very loud bass music coming through their wall..."

Also they both seem to reduce vibration to the floor.  I wonder by reducing that, will it also reduce vibration to the wall.   Do you have any suggestion on reducing vibration to the wall behind and to the side of my subwoofer?  Would acoustic panel or bass trap help?

What about THE GRs OB, are you interested in good bass that won't threaten your neighbors sanity, and the same floor space or smaller?Look into it.. It works very well. Room treatment, and again sub lite outside, pretty punchy inside...Works very well. Not a sealed unit. It pressures the room from both sides of the cone..Harmonics are less of an issue..

Regards
    Hey @noble100 xcool means I used to be cool, but no longer.  But I'm older and wiser though.  :-)
    Sub woofer gives you more flexibility and maybe cheaper.  It would be cheaper because you need to increase your amp power by a factor of 2 to 3 to really make a difference in the bass for those B&Ws..  This will almost always cost more.

Furthermore, a sub is specifically designed to have special speakers/motor which can handle more power.