Tweaks - An Honest Discussion

I know there is a lot of talk about performance tweaks in this forum and the value that can be realized.  I've started this thread because it seems that folks tend towards believing they are either the silver bullet to sonic bliss or conversely simply snake oil.  I believe tweaks are somewhere in between and in most cases, worth about what you pay for (crazy  I know).

I'm open minded to tweaks and have employed many in my system over the years including isolation, fuses, footers, HFTs, cabling, cable risers and attempts at reducing RFI (among others).  While I believe that many of these tweaks incrementally helped me get better performance out of my system I never for a second found any tweak make a transformational difference the way that a significantly upgraded piece of gear brings to the table.  I think many of us have been quite happy with our systems over the years but that doesn't mean implementing a tweak can possibly compete with the benefit of replacing a piece of gear that is well matched to elevate your system. Just because you're happy with your setup doesn't mean a major gear change can't really elevate the experience - surely well beyond any form of tweakery.  

As an example, I've been very happy with a Hana ML cart and how it's performed in my system.  I recently decided to acquire a Lyra Kleos cart - for a $2K increase the change has been transformational in terms of dynamic range and ability to convey detail and imaging.  There has never been a dot I've placed on a wall, carbon platform placed under gear, or RFI shielding device I've ever used that could possibly come close to this equipment upgrade.  Same goes for upgrades to my system over the years in terms of amps, pre's, and speakers.  For anyone to suggest that through tweaks alone you can elevate your system to a level that only gear changes can achieve simply falls flat in my experience.  Some may be shocked to hear that most of the time a $200 tweak truly only gets you about $200 worth of improvement (if any) and not the equivalent of a $5000 gear upgrade. I know there is a certain allure that by simply being smart and applying elbow grease that we can extend the sonic limits of our system well beyond it's design, parts, and capabilities but that's just not true IMO.

What's your experience been?   
128x128three_easy_payments
This is a question that I have had:  If relatively inexpensive tweaks, such as $100 for a better power cord or $60 for the aforementioned cones, make a significant difference, why wouldn’t equipment manufacturers include them with their products?  I assume that they want their products to sound as good as possible, as they are competing with other manufacturers.  So the modest price increase seems like it would be worth it to audiophile customers and to audio equipment manufacturers, as reflected by higher sales.

If I understood MC’s point, if an equipment manufacturer included cones with their equipment, that $60 extra cost would balloon to $600 by the time it is priced at retail.  I would think the opposite should occur:  The retail customer is purchasing one power cord or one set of cones or cables, but the equipment manufacturer would be buying in quantity or making the items themselves, which would be cost savings over what the individual would pay.  I would think the added cost of $100 for a better power cord paid by the individual purchaser would add less than $100 if the cord was provided with the equipment (same for cones, audio cables, etc.). The only thing that makes sense to me is that more profit is derived by companies by requiring customers to buy each piece as separate purchases. 
...personally, I prefer a 'twerk' over a mere 'tweak', but that's mho....;)

I'll stand with three_ easy on major upgrades on 'bang for buck', But one doesn't need to raid Ft. Knox to do so....

I finally got to 'scratch an itch' with a 'purpose built 'puter'....all audio all the time, with no 'fat' trashware....

Now, That's a 'tweak' in my little omniverse....;)
My best tweak was finding and fixing the listening room.  The next biggest one was spending more than $400 on a cartridge (I bought my Technics 1200-mk2 brand new for about $400) The 3rd was learning how to setup the cartridge and tonearm.

I agree with jtcf. Tweaks in room setup can make or break system performance. Speaker positioning, chair positioning, room treatments, dedicated 20 amp circuits, and more. These are the things you want to have done before thinking about new gear
There are a lot of great tweaks. There are also a lot of doubters. My advice is to try this one inexpensive tweak: Ayre's 'Irrational But Efficacious' System Enhancement Disc. If this doesn't cause a serious paradigm shift, then nothing will.