Tweaks - An Honest Discussion

I know there is a lot of talk about performance tweaks in this forum and the value that can be realized.  I've started this thread because it seems that folks tend towards believing they are either the silver bullet to sonic bliss or conversely simply snake oil.  I believe tweaks are somewhere in between and in most cases, worth about what you pay for (crazy  I know).

I'm open minded to tweaks and have employed many in my system over the years including isolation, fuses, footers, HFTs, cabling, cable risers and attempts at reducing RFI (among others).  While I believe that many of these tweaks incrementally helped me get better performance out of my system I never for a second found any tweak make a transformational difference the way that a significantly upgraded piece of gear brings to the table.  I think many of us have been quite happy with our systems over the years but that doesn't mean implementing a tweak can possibly compete with the benefit of replacing a piece of gear that is well matched to elevate your system. Just because you're happy with your setup doesn't mean a major gear change can't really elevate the experience - surely well beyond any form of tweakery.  

As an example, I've been very happy with a Hana ML cart and how it's performed in my system.  I recently decided to acquire a Lyra Kleos cart - for a $2K increase the change has been transformational in terms of dynamic range and ability to convey detail and imaging.  There has never been a dot I've placed on a wall, carbon platform placed under gear, or RFI shielding device I've ever used that could possibly come close to this equipment upgrade.  Same goes for upgrades to my system over the years in terms of amps, pre's, and speakers.  For anyone to suggest that through tweaks alone you can elevate your system to a level that only gear changes can achieve simply falls flat in my experience.  Some may be shocked to hear that most of the time a $200 tweak truly only gets you about $200 worth of improvement (if any) and not the equivalent of a $5000 gear upgrade. I know there is a certain allure that by simply being smart and applying elbow grease that we can extend the sonic limits of our system well beyond it's design, parts, and capabilities but that's just not true IMO.

What's your experience been?   
128x128three_easy_payments
Like everything else some are good some are useless. Some are free  and some are expensive. Some are real and some are fake. Some make sense and some don’t.

@millercarbon
In the mid 90's I made an arrangement with the late D.J. Kasser (great guy) to bulk purchase and include sets of his BDR cones with my Timbre Technology TT-1 D/A converters.  They were quite good and good looking (believe there were two types #3 & #4--buyers could try and choose which worked best in their systems)--still have a few sets tucked away somewhere. Even showed with him once in Vegas using his nice Carbon Fiber rack. The company has been continued by a relative.  My new company manufactures pneumatic isolation footers, totally different principle and pricing, showing there is room for improvement and multiple technologies at all levels to solve vibration issues.
I agree that everything makes a difference. However, a difference is not necessarily an improvement.
My hana el acquisition did more for my system, analog wise, than any form of tweak. It was a nite and day difference compared to my prior cartridge.