Russco, QRK, Sparco, Garrard, Thoren, Fairchild, Roberts

Ok I have several of the old rim drive broadcast TT. Russcos, QRKs, Sparcos, and
a few more. Also different Transcriptions, Thoren TD 121, 124s, 224s, and Garrard 401s.
Had a Fairchild (stolen). What's your favorites, or ones not mentioned.

Plinths, what are you using, what have you made, what have you bought??

I'm into the actual repair and mods of the machine more than the use, I love um', but
they are used.

Have any tips, tricks, suggestions?

Regards
Ag insider logo xs@2xoldhvymec
Olhvymec, I use a Garrard 401 in a plinth I built (after restoring the 'table), and mounted a Dynavector 501 arm on it. I'm really happy with this system, and don't worry about upgrades on my analog front end.
Yea I was 5 or 6 years old when my Dad instructed me how to drop the ol arm down without bouncing across the LP. It was a Garrard 301. He was so proud when he bought a fully automatic, Zero 100.

Funny how things change. 

My personal preference is Russco, and Thoren. 
Loved my 750 Fairchild. SME 3012R gold, too, killer TT.

That being said the best I ever heard (of the old guard) was a tricked out 401 with SME arms, a close second was a Russco then Thoren.

Regards
Rim drive, you say? Repair and mods, you say??

Behold! The Miller Carbon!
https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367
Carbon fiber BDR Source Shelf for the base, arm, and motor pod. I have built, repaired, and modified all of it!

Originally based on the Teres turntable. https://teresaudio.com

The Teres bearing is internally modified. The stock teflon on the brass thrust plate is silent when new but quickly wears through slightly increasing noise and slowly wearing a small hole in the brass thrust plate. So I replaced the thrust plate with some super hard material, tungsten carbide I think its called. Been a while. Then I modified the stainless ball bearing in the spindle, replacing it with silicon carbide. With now something like 15 years in use the last time I took it apart for inspection there was only the tiniest little speck of a spot to show where they meet. Technically wear, but infinitesimally tiny. After 15 years!

The bearing comes with a large stainless steel fastening nut. I drilled a hole in a 3" diameter piece of Source Shelf, threaded it, and that is my "nut". Because of the large diameter it gets plenty tight by hand and because the bearing is now totally encased it is incredibly well damped and rigidly held.

The motor likewise is mounted in BDR Source Shelf with BDR Cones. Stock from the factory the Teres Verus motor used little rubber feet. Which is okay but this was a big improvement. Only drawback being the lack of damping. Mechanical stuff like motors, rim drive and all does need to be damped. I found a combination of sorbothane, fo.Q tape and Blue Tack works pretty good.

The acrylic platter uses brass plugs to hold lead shot. I took it apart and coated the brass with TC. At the time noticed the brass rings. Well of course, its brass! But I didn’t have enough fo.Q tape to take care of that. Next time....

So I made all of this, and why is because after comparing a bunch of different turntables and materials this is the best I can find for the money.

A lot of this is directly applicable to your older tables. fo.Q tape and TC in particular. This combination will control vibration and improve electron shear so much you won’t believe. Incredibly cost effective. It works with my table which being BDR is about as dead as dead can be. I would think it would work at least as well on your tables.
Yup, millercarbon you did a fine job indeed.  I need to dig out my project.
It's a 47lb alu platter. I made the housing for the spindle out of cast alu to make it quiet. It's well on the way. I used a black sapphire (super hard black liquid carbon ball) I think 5/8 or 3/4 can't remember.  The ball is just dropped down the bore, main shaft sits on top of that. I use Rislone and liquid teflon for the lube.

What is fo.Q tape and TC, this is 4/20, is that THC? LOL.

I just came in from working on a Russco plinth, cutting two more MBass boxes, priming and blocking two others. All getting close to paint. Need about an 80 degree day with zero humidity. Man I'm thinkin' Jaguar Red just like the new Cary. Burgundish. 

Need a little 24 x 24 x 4" CNC. Finish the stuff  quicker, BUT not really handmade then is it?...Every cabinet in the house, no matter how bad it looks I made it.. LOL Fun..

Regards
Just got a Russco Studio Pro Model B in very good shape. This will get a complete tear down and restore.
Doing the mechanical work and machine work is not a problem, but I'm not into wood working and don't have access to those kind of tools. Not sure what I'm doing about a plinth yet. I know it should be high mass to dampen any vibration. Anyone have a plinth from a project sitting unused?
BillWojo