seeking recommendations for a preamp

I've been lurking a while, but this is my first post. I will appreciate any advice given, and thank you for reading this.

My Kenwood C2 bit the dust. I have lost the right channel, and the input selector is also going out. I'm looking to replace it, and upgrade quite a bit. The wife has given me a $2500 budget, new or used is ok. I listen to Vinyl a lot, as well as my echo dot which is also plugged into my preamp with a headphone to RCA adapter. I'll list my other equipment now.

Completely rebuilt Altec A7-500 with all new parts from GPA
JBL L200s
Kenwood M1D amplifier
Homebrew rebuilt Monoblocks from Zenith consoles with EL84/6BQ5
Yamaha EQ
Thorens TD 318 with an Ortofon cart. Unsure which one as I am at work
SVS PB16 ultra

The room is 16 wide by 20 deep. I primarily listen to the Altecs and tube amps with the SVS sub taking up the slack in the bass from the A7s. Sometimes I listen to the JBLs driven by the Kenwood M1D. I notice that the echo dot sounds a lot better than my turntable, so I know I must be needing a better phono stage. I've tried swapping out turntables with a couple of Dual 1229s with Shure M97XE carts that Bill at fixmydual has gone through thoroughly so It's not isolated to my Thorens. I guess I' surprised that the $30 Echo Dot sounds so much better.  

I admit I don't have the best cables, and will upgrade those as I can. I feel like the preamp is the heart of the system so I want to make a good choice. I love Macintosh, based purely off emotion, but don't know if it's the best choice for my situation. I do not have a local shop to audition, and none of my friends are into audio. What preamps should I be looking at ??
128x128adrianleewelch
If buying new:
Benchmark LA 4
Schiit Freya S
Schiit Freya +
If buying used:
The above plus:
Pass Labs
possibly Bryston
Perhps PrimaLuna as mentioned above. 
Dynaco made good stuff.  I have a rebuilt and upgraded Stereo 120, and I like it a lot.  My preamp is a PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC... pretty decent DAC too.
Used parasound jc2bp. Check out Atkinson’s review in Stereophile. He usually does not gush.
Unfortunately it doesn’t come with a phono section but an Aesthetix Calypso is in your budget and stands right up there in sound quality. 
Any Conrad Johnson older tube pre. Fantastic sounding and built to last. Pv 10 or 11. Audio research pre as well though not as well built as the cj.